Author Topic: Snakey Osage stave question  (Read 4849 times)

Offline coaster500

Snakey Osage stave question
« on: August 01, 2012, 09:16:15 pm »
I've got a stave that is a bit twisted, snakey and dimensionally challenged. It is 1 1/8 wide at the center and only 1" wide at the first snakey twist. Should I try to build a bow with these odd dimensions or should I cut it in half and splice it? I have never done a splice but there's a first time for everything???  It is 2"s wide on both ends.....  What do you think to cut or not to cut...  That is the question :)

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Snakey Osage stave question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 09:21:00 pm »
I'd cut and splice, it'll not only give you the needed width in the working limb but it'll put the snakey part farther out in the limb where it will look cool and be under slightly less stress.  It'll make a 64" bow this way.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:25:37 pm »
Seen that bad boy on Ebay. Thought about going after it, but the placement of that snake gave me pause. Hope to see it come to fruition for ya.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 09:29:06 pm »
Is 2"s wide enough for a splice?

I have done a two peice takedown sleve before and there is plenty of wood for that.
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 09:42:35 pm »
Your thinking right kip....cut n splice that sucker.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 10:12:36 pm »
Ditto to what Blackhawk said........
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 11:20:56 pm »
I agree.  I would cut and splice or make a take down.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 11:26:02 pm »
Is 2"s wide enough for a splice?

I have done a two peice takedown sleve before and there is plenty of wood for that.

Sure you can splice a 1" width.  You don't want to splice and then cut a lot of the glue line off in making the handle anyway.

But your idea of a takedown sleeve would allow him to keep the full 68" length. 64" is plenty though.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 01:14:14 am »
Thanks guys :)

Offline bcbull

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 02:17:10 am »
kip im gonna disagerr with this one sorry  but id make the bow as it is kerry and i make lots of sleander osage bows under a inch wide  just make it oval or half round with a lot more wood on the bottom  limbs dont need to be flat  after all if u cut er and splice it ull loose the chartcher right ? and ur purpose is to make a chartcher bow so  re think it i wouldnt be a bit scared to do it that way brock   ps ill text u a pic of one i made  like that

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 02:44:59 am »
I'd like to see it Brock...  I haven't decided what to do yet but I may put it to the test, that it doesn't take much osage to make a bow :laugh:

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:21:28 pm by coaster500 »

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 05:03:29 am »
#1-cut it
#2-setto it in a set of take down sleeves
#3shoot er in
#4-send to me for further inspection  >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 09:00:31 am »
I never cut wood that'll make a bow as-is and that one will. If you splice it, use the 2 ends for the splice. Either way, should make a nice bow.

George
St Paul, TX

Stringman

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 10:44:15 am »
More I make the more I'm learnin to go with what the wood gives ya. I could go either way on this, but I'm leanin towards not cutting it. You should be making the decision based on what specs you need outta it. If you have to hit huntin weight and a 29" draw, then maybe consider a glue up (maybe add some reflex?!?) If you aren't so tightly limited then just go slow and let the bow talk its way thru it. 1" is plenty of osage, no doubt! That stave could be pretty either way.

Scott

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 11:12:02 am »
I wouldn't cut it. Plenty of Osage there to make a good bow. Use a little more rounded belly and you will be fine. Dean