Author Topic: West coast guys..Elderberry  (Read 3022 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

West coast guys..Elderberry
« on: August 12, 2012, 09:24:38 pm »
Have any of you made bows from Elderberry??? I have seen Elderberry bows, but it is not clear to me if they are from the west coast species???
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline bubby

Re: West coast guys..Elderberry
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 11:20:32 pm »
elderberry is all over here in nor cal, but the damn bettle is protected so i'm a little worryed about getting caught cutting one down, i don't run as fast as i used to >:D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline danlaw

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 11:34:07 pm »
Ha! I have often wondered about Elderberry. I have a huge one in my backyard which I prune every year; the wood seems really light and weak to me. I'd like to know as well VMB. Apparently you can dip the flower clusters in batter and fry them like pancakes. That's my elderberry project for next spring if nothing else.

Offline snag

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 12:01:21 am »
I thought it would be pithy inside..?  Elderberry wine!
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 12:05:36 am »
I've seen some beautiful bows made with European Elderberry and maybe Western US Elderberry. The only way to know is to give it a try.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline danlaw

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 01:58:26 am »
I did a little research on red (pacific) elderberry. The wood is apparently very hard but brittle - good for flutes because it is hollow. 

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 02:02:42 am »
Pat,

I have seen them as well, but not sure what species it was....for that matter, what continent.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 11:44:47 am »
The Elderberry in the South would make a better blow gun.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 11:57:10 am »
Eddie,

Thats what I think about ours up here, but ya never know.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 12:54:10 pm »
Howdy,  The blue elderberry here in the bay area can grow to tremendous size.  (One bunch of elders I frequent is sprouts from a cut down trunk ~ 18" across.) I've only cut small branches, so far.  The smaller wood is pithy and weak, but I'm thinking wood from a larger trunk may be denser.   I believe it is DRUID that has posted multiple bows of European elder. Cutting a larger tree and giving it a try is on my list of things to do. 
 In the mean time I just collected and processed another 6# of berries yesterday.   They store well in a freezer and I've now got almost enough for another batch of wine.  I just bottled last year's batch in July.  I still have a liter of elderflower syrup from picking earlier this year.      Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 01:21:48 pm »
We have Red, Blue and Blackbead Elderberry on the northwest coast.  Once you get north and out of the valley the elderberry longhorn beetle doesn't occur, so there shouldn't be a problem harvesting a few branches (although I'd still check with the local DFG office).

For some reason I think the Blue is supposed to be better for bows, but I don't know where thats coming from. Not enough RAM in my memory  :)

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline druid

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 05:40:17 pm »
I often made bows of elderberry, it is great material, somehow like rattan more than wood.
One of elderberry bows with 4" of set outshoot few ash and elm bows with much better conditions and same strength. Great wood.