Author Topic: New guy from Michigan!  (Read 3232 times)

Offline LimbLover

New guy from Michigan!
« on: August 13, 2012, 12:44:46 pm »
Hello Everyone!

Another lurker who has finally decided to introduce myself! I wasn't really sure where to do that before.  :o

I actually posted a thread in the "Bows" forum awhile back about a red oak board build I was working on, which exploded shortly after posting. It broke exactly where everyone said it would and I felt pretty embarrassed about it. I haven't really posted since, but I'm addicted to the Bows forum and to the fine examples of art and skill you post daily and spend a lot of time examining them. Since breaking my, I recovered, bought the Traditional Bowyer's Bible Volumes 1-2 and have created two functional bows since. Both of them from boards - a red oak, and one from a piece of black locust I found in my Grandfather's barn attic.

They are far from perfect, but they shoot well, and I learned a lot about choosing wood and proper tillering. I've also learned to be more patient and to have thicker skin when taking advice. A bow is or isn't going to break regardless of how it is brought to your attention, and the point is to learn from the flaw.

Thank you all for sharing your builds and opinions. I'm sure there are a lot of lurkers like me who are learning volumes about making their own gear by simply being here!

The BOM eye-candy alone is well worth the price of admission!

Thanks!

blackhawk

Re: New guy from Michigan!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 12:50:32 pm »
Welcome to PA..  :)  but stay away from them michigan bowyers up there,they're "bad news",and will only worsen the addiction.  8)

Offline mitch

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 03:54:54 pm »
haha I also lurk around and am yet to post anything with pictures myself, i broke my first 3 bows all because the were too thin in the handle they were cedar board bows. I have learned alot since then and will try to post something in the near future!  ;D Its and addiction
"Any old stick will do for a bow, but the arrow gets the deer." Ishi

Offline LimbLover

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 04:53:56 pm »
Addiction is an understatement. We just had our second little girl a week ago and the first thing I do when I change her and hand her over to the wife for nightly feedings is check PA for new bows.

I'm starting two more bows in the near future, another red oak from an above average board I found a Menards and another locust bow for my 2.5 year old.

Thanks Blackhawk! I love your bows man!! Tattoo Dave lives near within minutes of me and has been enduring my private messages since build number one. Hope to meet him soon. :laugh:

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 10:56:13 am »
Thanks...Daves a nice guy and yeah only twenty mins from ya you know. Also another new guy who just made his first bow named Dan(who goes by DGF here) lives in wyoming a few mins from ya too. Then there's Matt(mwirwicki) and Marty who live in perry just outside of lansing and are more than willing to help you out, and they both know there stuff. Also is Chris(pearl drums)who's and hour north of the lansing area. But all those guys wood be more than willing to help ya out,just send em a pm. I'm an exmichigander and was born n raised in Holland.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 10:46:19 pm »
limblover
welcome  i recognised your handle from another forum and believe we spoke briefly on a course at comptons a couple summers ago
the people here are great
very knowlegable and giving of expertise
there are a lot of great primitive bowyers here in michigan for us new guys to glean informaton from as blawkhawk  says
i live in hesperia about an hour north of gr  there are a couple of us here  just starting to build self bows
if ya ever get up this way look us up  plus we got a great 3-d course just a few minutes west of town
kevin

Offline LimbLover

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 11:34:02 pm »
Thanks guys! Id love to meet all of you someday!

I've shot 4Bs! Heading there next weekend with my Dad for an hour or two.

Compton's huh? Bet I'd recognize you if I saw you.

On a sad note...the locust bow didn't make it.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 09:03:13 am »
Welcome LimbLover,glad you like it here,nich and helpful bunch of folks.Looking forward to seeing some of your projects.Sorry about the Locust bow,it happens. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline LimbLover

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 11:32:01 am »
Thank you Pappy!

Bah its okay. First time working with knots and I made a fundamental error at the beginning that I ultimately couldn't overcome. Learned more from working on the bow than I would Have enjoyed shooting it for awhile.