Author Topic: linseed oil  (Read 2032 times)

Offline taxus_bacata

linseed oil
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:35:00 pm »
I over rubbed too much linseed oil on a batch of shafts a few days ago and they are still slightly sticky. The finish is ok but I wonder if there is anyway I could thin some of it off to get rid of the sickiness?

Offline iowabow

Re: linseed oil
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 08:08:11 pm »
Steel wool like crazy
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 09:13:35 pm »
You might try denatured alcohol and steel wool.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 08:03:03 am »
you'll be best of just waiting, linseed oil can take ages to harden. Like, months. It depends on the kind of oil, wheter it has been boiled, and wheter sikkatives have been added.

If it is still sticky, it has likely turned into a matrix of partially hardened oil and still liquid oil within the matrix. you can press out the liquid oil by rubbing the shafts firmly with some leather or your hands. put be careful, the hardened oil may come off in glibbery little pieces, try not to rub it off.

Other, you can put the shafts in the sun to accelerate the hardening. That's what I'd do. And wait.

Linseed oil is for the patient, but it's great stuff.
Don't shoot!

Offline taxus_bacata

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 05:25:48 pm »
THANKS!!

Offline Comalforge

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 12:49:59 am »
Try a little Japan Drier on a rag; it should cut the excess linseed oil.

Offline upthecreek

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 06:55:58 pm »
I have success using boild linseed oil cut 1:1 with turpentine for finish on gun stocks. Cut that thin it takes several coats but is beautiful on walnut. Also turpentine has a strong odor that takes considerable time to flash off. So don't plan on going to the woods right away. My experience then suggests that you can use turpentine to cut the linseed oil on your arrows. It has sealed over on the surface and is not allowing the solvents still trapped underneath to flash-off. Not knowing how long your finish has been in place I can't assure that using the turpentine now will not leave you with a gummy uneven mess. Try a small area to see what happens. Sorry. Good luck.
Mike