Author Topic: Good wood for arrows?  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Stefan

Good wood for arrows?
« on: August 26, 2012, 02:21:35 pm »
Hi All,

I have some wood laying around that is very straight grained. I think the wood is from Larix decidua (part of the Pinaceae family). Does anyone know if it is suitable for making arrows?

Thanks,

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Good wood for arrows?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 04:59:28 pm »
Stefan, I have not used this specific wood for arrows but have used white pine and many other straight grained wood. I think any straight grained wood should make arrows. I guess the only way to know for sure is to give it a try. Please report your results back to us.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 08:37:29 pm »
If its got a straight grain I say go for it.

Offline robby

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 12:44:09 pm »
Stefan, If that's Larch, it might be a bit brittle and light, but I would still give it a go. Good luck!!
Robby

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 01:15:36 pm »
Sounds like there's but one way to find out! ;)

Offline Stefan

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 02:17:05 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I think you guys call it larch. I will give it a try. first I need to find someone who can saw it using a bandsaw...when I have made an arrow with it I will let you know if it works..

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo