Author Topic: Dowel making for shafts.  (Read 12538 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Dowel making for shafts.
« on: August 27, 2012, 01:22:02 pm »
I am considering buying a dowel rod maker because i have a lumber store with PERFECT grain fir and ash. i was thinking i could make arrows out of at least the fir. if you guys know of a better way of making shafts then id love to hear it. this way is the best for the money since i can get about 20+ shafts for 5$. i know getting wood from my yard could work too, i just am wondering if this would be an easy and affordable solution. Open to other ideas too.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline agd68

Re: Dowel making for shafts.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 09:26:11 am »
Lee Valley Tools has a dowel making package set up for archers. Comes with any of the standard arrow diameter sockets. Or, check out the threads on hand planing shafts.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 04:31:09 pm »
If it turns out nice shafts that only need a little sanding and you get 20 shafts for $5?, I'd call that good!

Offline Griffin027

• -Neosho, MO
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 11:51:43 am »
This is a pretty interesting link on split timber shafts, might help you out. This guy has a few different ways he does what you're reffering to.  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,453.0.html
~ Levi from SW Missouri ~

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 07:03:21 pm »
you might do a search on youtube, lot's of info and some that you can make fdor practically nothing
Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sydebyrne

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 08:17:09 pm »
I use just about any dowling I can find....my bolts for my crossbow are only 16 inches long anyways....so even if they're a bit crooked, it's ok. I just make sure the crooked part is pointing upwards when I put fletching on it....I use electrical tape or duct tape for the feathers ( saw that on youtube). After making many many bolts, my craftsmanship is getting better, and they fly pretty darn straight! I dont use any field tips for my homemade arrows....I just grind the shaft to a point with a bench grinder.....they sink about 5-6 inches into my 3D deer target at 90 feet.....try it....they work great!!! I'm designing a backing for my target range today.....ive made a giant "bag" outta two free tarps stapled together on 3 sides....(its 10.5 feet wide, and 2 meters high). I have started to fill it in with other tarps and plastic wrap....once it is packed tight with other free tarps (just go to home hardware or home depot and raid their dumpster for plastic wrap....they give it away free), it will stop an arrow or bolt.  Now when a shot misses my deer....it wont break and will just sink into the giant bag of plastic wrap.....cant wait for it to be finished.....gonna make another trip to home hardware on monday to get more free plastic wrap!

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 05:41:53 pm »
I have the Lee Valley dowel maker for archers. It is awesome compared to the router setups I tried first. I tried several different homemade setups before dropping the coin to get the Lee Valley setup. Keep the blades sharp and it turns out nice shafts that need but a little sanding. It does have a learning curve to get it going properly (drill speed, feed rate, blade adjustment and so forth). But once you get the knack of it you'll be good to go.
BTW Ash makes great shafts too.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 01:27:48 pm »
Check previous threads on this for other ways to make dowels. Here's what I do.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 10:29:32 pm »
If it turns out nice shafts that only need a little sanding and you get 20 shafts for $5?, I'd call that good!

And if you can get a regular supply of good quality wood, you will have a steady source of trade goods for the rest of us!  I'll be waiting impatiently for a batch of douglas fir shafts. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 11:47:12 pm »
I have the Lee Valley dowel maker for archers. It is awesome compared to the router setups I tried first...

The router setup must have not been set up right. The shafts come out of mine burnished smoother than sandpaper could ever make them. Only reason to sand would be to help stain penetrate. Plus, I already had the router. My setup cost me no new outlay of cash.

With a router setup, you can make any diameter you want--how about 21/64"?  I even make 1/4" shafts for kids arrows. I don't like paying for unnecessary gadgets.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 10:14:51 pm »
I have the Lee Valley dowel maker for archers. It is awesome compared to the router setups I tried first...

The router setup must have not been set up right. The shafts come out of mine burnished smoother than sandpaper could ever make them. Only reason to sand would be to help stain penetrate. Plus, I already had the router. My setup cost me no new outlay of cash.

With a router setup, you can make any diameter you want--how about 21/64"?  I even make 1/4" shafts for kids arrows. I don't like paying for unnecessary gadgets.

I don't either. But after destroying way more wood than I wanted on the router setup I got the dowel maker. I tried several different router setups but nothing like you got there. Looks like a good setup.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 08:43:01 pm »
I have the dowel maker, and its nice enough for me, i just ran ceder through it and for about 13$ came up with 21 shafts(the other 3 i was supposed to get i messed up.) each of the shafts were about 62 cents per shaft which is cheaper than poplar dowels, and much straighter. JW i can make a number of shafts from the different woods with almost no bend to it at all, i would definitely be willing to trade you some fir shafts, i just need to get some money to buy the boards. Time it takes to get 9 rough un-sanded shafts all made is about 1 hr. i found it well worth the money since i generally will need at least 11/32" for my arrows. I dont have the money for a router yet so i wont worry about that, maybe later i will buy one.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 10:18:47 pm »
what sizes can it make?
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 10:55:12 pm »
well, its meant to only make 3/8" but i was able to get it to shaft them at 11/32" for my sister, it will NOT go smaller and probably wont go bigger than 3/8"

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 01:51:39 am »
darn, i was going to ask if you could make 1/2in for warbows..... can you pm me where you got you dowel maker?
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what