Author Topic: Second bow, getting better  (Read 6838 times)

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
Second bow, getting better
« on: August 29, 2012, 07:08:31 pm »
Here's my second effort at a bow. It is a red oak flatbow/longbow, 45# @ 28", 70" nock to nock. The first was also a red oak board bow, and while I was happy with the outcome I didn't like the arrow rest (which I placed too high) and it came out lighter than intended (30#) due to over-zealous use of the rasp. This bow shoots off the knuckle and came out dead on 45#. The tiller isn't perfect, as you will see, but I am very happy with it. It is backed with three layers of brown craft paper saturated with wood glue.

It is a great feeling to shoot a bow you made yourself. I will definitely be making many more. I hope to improve my bowmaking to the point where I feel confident in joining next year's bow trade.

I have some yew staves drying in the garage attic and am looking forward to my first stave-bow attempts.

Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Second bow, getting better
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 07:11:33 pm »
Very nice bow! nice designs too  ;) I also plan to join next years trade  :laugh:
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:18:39 pm »
Lookin' good.
sounds like you've learned a lot on that first one. I bet those Yew staves keep calling to you!
Del
(PS Check out my website and bowyers diary if you havn't seen 'em. Google Delsbows or Bowyers Diary. I post everything I do including my mistakes, I use a fair bit of Yew so there may be some useful stuff on there)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 07:52:10 pm »
Looks go to go these eyes!!!  Nice art work :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 09:18:23 pm »
Matt, there is nothing to be ashamed about on that bow!  Yeehaw!  Ya done goooood!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 09:24:18 pm »
Good job on your second matt...id say your ready for the trade now  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 09:31:31 pm »
Boy, you nailed the tiller. Very good bow and especially for being only your second bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 09:35:10 pm »
Great job,realy nice looking bow
Steve Bennett

Offline SA

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 09:46:44 pm »
looks like a keeper, i like the artwork too.
Shawn Acker

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 09:50:31 pm »
Nice job, Matt! I love the matching colors on the back of the bow and arrows. The bend is real nice too!!  8)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 10:56:42 pm »
AWESOME!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 11:33:55 pm »
Looks good to me! You'll find that you are your own worst critic. Good luck on #3!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 11:39:42 pm »
Good job on the bow.  The tiller looks good and even.  Be careful cutting nock grooves into the back of the bow.  I bet you will love working with staves instead of boards.  There just seems to be more "life" in a stave than a board.  An easy way to get a rest exactly where you want it is to shape the handle and hold it where it feels comfortable.  Make a mark right above your hand and then build up a rest out of layers of thick leather and superglue.  You can cut and shape the leather any way you want once it sets up.  A handle wrap covers it all up.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 11:41:52 pm »
Very nice finish work! Tiller looks good too.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 12:03:36 am »
Very cool!love when the bow has tie with the arrows.... ;)  one thing i feel you may want to watch out for is the corners, make shure to round em off good to help prevent the lifting of a splinter...the bend looks sweet! And if i have not done so before, Welcome! !!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...