Author Topic: Whats Good?  (Read 4636 times)

Offline VicNova

Whats Good?
« on: September 02, 2012, 11:46:50 pm »
Hey there. Just wondering what kind of broadheads people prefer  when there not using stone or trade points.

I plan on hunting with my selfbow this year and I am wondering what broadheads experienced primitive hunters recommended.

I had my eye on Ace Standards but I want to see what others think.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:11:16 am by Victor99 »
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Whats Good?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:32:47 am »
I have used Wensel Woodsman, Grizzly, Zwickey.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 05:30:48 pm »
Same as Pat.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 06:54:47 pm »
Same as Pat.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 12:20:57 pm »
same as Pat, plus Bear Razorbacks.  I usually don't use the bleeder blades.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 01:12:52 pm »
Ace 160's.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 01:10:35 am »
A guy in Africa has been doing research into lethality in big game with almost every broadhead ever invented.  His name is Dr. Ed Ashby.  Do a quick look online and you will probably find more data on the subject than you can comfortably wrap your head around. 

On the one side of the spectrum you have mechanical broadheads with a painfully pathetic showing.  Specifically, the Rage broadheads suffered a 100% mechanical failure!  Stay away from mechanical broadheads.  In fact, give up hunting completely rather than use mechanicals.

The other side of the spectrum is the rigid, fixed two blade broadheads.  The best of these would be the ones that cut on contact and are sharpened on one side only on each of the blades.  The blades should be hard enough steel that the point does not bend or deflect.  Hard steel is hard to sharpen, but maintains cutting edge better than softer steels. 

Whatever you chose, learn to sharpen these blades with a water stone or oil stone.  Get them sharp enough to slice cleanly thru cigarette paper and you will have a deadly arrow.     
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 01:45:27 pm »
I've got STOS two blade, 145 grain broadheads on my 3River hunter arrows.  The whole package comes in around 500 to 525 grains. Never hunted them before, but that fly true and their easily sharpened.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 08:10:59 pm »
Sharp two blades- manufacturer of your choice.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 01:05:46 am »
tuskers
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 10:05:15 am »
  I used ZWICKY for almost 15 years and only trade and stone for the last 15years.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 02:09:08 am »
My 2cents worth . Avoid the replaceable bleaders and go for a solid two blade design of your choice. The last thing you want is to recover your arrow with no bleeder blade left in it and then have to guess where you might find it during field dressing. I didn't find mine , but haven't used them since.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 08:48:38 pm »
ok to all that have posted is it 2, 3, 4 blades and how do you line up 2 blades . thanks.
john 3:16

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 12:58:25 am »
I prefer 2 . I think it would be easier to push a flat blade through than one that  has pieces sticking out the side to hang up on ribs,etc. I don't recall seeing a whole lot of 3 and 4 blade Knapped stone or bone  points. Just a personal observation . With a heavy enough bow and a clean shot I would think it's just a matter of preference. As far as orientation goes, do you really plan on making your shot at precisely the exact distance to ensure that the rotation of your arrow coinsides with the 2 blades lining up vertically  and slicing through between the ribs without touching them?That  business about the Native Americans lining up their points for man or beast would probably give them a good laugh if someone asked them.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 08:01:55 am »
You made some good points lol. thanks
john 3:16