Author Topic: Plains style horse bow  (Read 11105 times)

Offline THoward

Plains style horse bow
« on: September 08, 2012, 01:54:43 am »
I have been working a vine maple stave into a short 44" horse bow.  I have it down to target draw weight, short string and tiller.  A few minor adjustments to come.  I was going to make a functional wall hanger then a co-worker who rides horsed asked about horse archery.  I told her I'd give it to her and she was stoked.  I plan on finishing the tiller, draw length 21", weight to 30ish pounds, staining it with black cherries, black berries and some red dirt I found near Reno.  I'll use horse hair from her favorite horse to top it off.  Here are a few pics unstrung.  It has a nice shape after several trips with the steam and bench vises.  More pics to come.  T
"i came to live out loud" emile zola

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Plains style horse bow
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 10:31:23 pm »
That's way cool!! You should post in the bow section when done, or now.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline THoward

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 11:23:02 am »
Here are few pics of the bow with the short string and on the tiller stick.  A little stiff near handle.  I'll take care of that before moving on.

Offline THoward

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:29:52 am »
Just catching up.  Up at 5:30am.  Applied blackberry over dirt stain on arrows and bow.  It turned out to be a nice reddish salmon color.  Should look nice with tru oil over the top.  Will try to get most of it done by Saturday before I take off to go elk hunting.  Hope a little of Gordon's luck rubs off.

Offline sound maker

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 01:41:42 pm »
don't we all and thats a very nice bow.   I want one too but I think thats going to be one I do next year when I got more time and space.

good luck.
I am not the best but learn from the wise and you'll end up being called he best!
 What one person calls common sense another calls wisdom.

Offline THoward

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 04:38:22 am »
A few more pics.  Working the grip time.  The bow has 6 coats of tru oil.  Contact cement to build up the grip with layers of leather.  I work it down carefully with a razor knife.  Did I say carefully.  I tried a Dremel once but the leather dust was nasty.  Next I wrapped it with 80lb. braided fishing line.  Note the wood arrow rest.  The grip wrap and arrow rest (a whittled down golf tee) are both John Strunk tricks of the trade.  I'll be out of touch of a while because I am off to chase elk on a solo hunt.  I'll post grip pics soon.  After that all that's left is to serve the string and fletch the arrows.  Maybe during the week I am back.  I hope you enjoy the pics.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:44:12 am by THoward »

Offline boughnut

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 05:21:55 pm »
looking good cant wait to see it finished.  good luck on your elk hunt

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 01:31:32 am »
When I'm on a solo hunt I take projects, like this one, to pass the time while at camp or not hunting...

jeffb

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 03:28:22 am »
oh man that looks Awesome!! i hope you do well on your hunt.

Offline THoward

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 08:46:25 pm »
I'm back.  I couldn't convince an elk to take a ride in my truck.  Had fun on my 6 day solo hunt and saw a handful of elk.  I left off at the grip wrapped in fishing line.  Since then I finished off the grip, added the string serving, arrows and horse hair topper.  I'll sign, name and put on the details tonight.  I have pics.  See below.

Offline THoward

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 08:55:58 pm »
Oops! here are the rest.  The pic down the limb shows the color off well from the dirt and blackberry skins.  I like the color and will experiment again with natural dyes.  The only problem I came across was poor fletching adhesion on the dirt/juice portion of the arrows.  A little Native American super glue helped solve that problem.  This time.
Just to wrap up the bow is vine maple, 44" ntn, 30lbs at 21" and the arrows hand planed cedar on a John Strunk arrow plane.  She did not want turkey feathers so I went with black and white.
Thanks for taking a look, comments and feedback.
Todd

Offline AngelDeVille

• Internet Archer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 11:29:30 pm »
Awesome work! My son and I need to get to work on ours!
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 05:02:01 pm »
I like it!
And I really like VM.

My favorite bow wood for sure.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 10:17:50 pm »
Sharp looking bow.
Rob

Offline chamookman

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 05:42:39 am »
Nicely done - great lookin' bow & arrows. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.