Author Topic: la bonne medecine....finished bow money shots  (Read 5338 times)

Offline half eye

la bonne medecine....finished bow money shots
« on: September 08, 2012, 09:40:06 pm »
Fellas, started on one of my scalloped bows for gun doc, and couldn't miss the chance to jerk his chain just a tad..... ::)

Here's the start of a bow for him. right now the bow is 52" and 58#@26", a self bow from elm. It is in the Ojibwa pattern so it has slightly recurved tips that open at full draw. As ya can see from the pics I need to get the upper tip to open just a tad more but overall it's commin along nicely. I was shooting for 60# so I believe it will get shortened to 50" which should get me up to low to mid 60's.

The bow is called   " la bonne Medecine pour un bon ami"  or   good medecin for a good friend.
rich

sorry doc.....couldn't resist >:D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 05:50:37 pm by half eye »

Offline H Rhodes

Re: la bonne medecine....52" gun doc special
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 10:53:01 pm »
That is a sweet looking piece of elm Rich.  Looks like good medicine to me.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 10:54:54 pm »
Looking good Rich glad you posted it as I always love your scalloped bows. One day I got to try to get one that short to bend that far at
at that weight. Don't think I'm to that level yet, would likely get massive set, poor tiller or more likely an explosion.
He is gonna like that bow, its a nice one for sure. Please post more pics when your got it done.
Greg

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 11:10:22 pm »
Nice one, Rich! You got her bending real nice. I can't wait to see the finished product!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 02:02:37 am »
 :o ;D ;D ;D. Wow!  Pull my chain doesn't quite cover it Rich!  I have drool running down my shirt and  a big goofy smile on my face!  Oh my!  You might be getting some hate mail from the local whitetail population here in Ks.  I know of one big fat doe in my creek that is gonna have a serious mad on towards you!   I can't hardly wait! ;D. Josh

BTW no need to pike it.  58# is perfect!  Words can't express my excitement!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:20:22 am by Gun Doc »

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 11:31:34 am »
Glad ya like it so far Josh. Wont be no more teasers till she's done. I'll have to play the length by ear though....dont want her to finish out too low in weight.....figured might loose 2-3 pounds after sanding etc......we'll see
rich

Offline seabass

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 03:38:53 pm »
nicely done Rich.you make some sweet bows my friend.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline half eye

Re: la bonne medecine....finished pics added (some more tomorrow)
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 04:40:53 pm »
ok Josh here's some shots of her finished.

Some of the medicine: black mink wraps (all these mink,fischer,martin,otter etc. reverred as ferocious killers by area NA's) the bows color comes from 20 hrs in the sweat tent bein smoked with Ironwood and Birch bark and some hide from last seasons buck, the green is regular paint w/ cuts painted black. colored only on the scalloped side (arrow pass side) and signed on the off side . no other color or "sign" because it's only for the hunt. Also the string is from my first hunting bow and took 4 deer (a new string included if ever needed)

OK Josh thats all for now ......really hope ya like so far.....will get the regular shots tomorrow and weigh it on the scale so we know exactly where it's at.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 04:43:05 pm »
sorry forgot some

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 05:10:43 pm »
Oh my!  That's some serious medicine!  That's definitely the new lead pony in my stable!  I'm pert near speechless!( a rare affliction for me)  Ever since your article in PA on your scalloped bows, I've dreamed of having one.  I considered making one myself more than once, but it would not of had the same medicine!  I can't thank you enough Rich!  Josh

Offline half eye

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 05:16:34 pm »
Sure hope so Josh.....guess you will find out along that creek, eh?
rich

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 05:26:19 pm »
look's like serious good medicine for Josh and bad medicine for the buck's, nice bow Rich, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 08:50:22 pm »
What a lucky dog, Doc...and a fine job, Rich. It turned out really good. I gotta get the scoop on those scalloped bows, sometime!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Deo

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 09:16:19 pm »
That bow sure is a beauty. Can't wait to try one of thoes scalloped bows my self. Love the mustelidae"using my mamalogy education" wraps sure looks cool.

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 09:18:34 pm »
Your a lucky man Doc. to have such a great friend laying down that great medicine. I'm sure it will fill the pot.
                                                     Wonderful job Rich,
                                                            Spyder