Author Topic: Raising weight  (Read 4130 times)

Offline grinner

Raising weight
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:10:14 pm »
HI I just finished tillering my hackberry self bow it is 68" NTN and it only ended up being 37# @28 inches. I heat treated it once should i heat treat it again since i scraped of the wood. What are my other option for raising the weight 5-8 pounds? Thanks for the help

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Raising weight
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:27:14 pm »
You could pike it an inch to an 1 1/2 on each end. At 68" you probably have enough room at that draw length. That should get you close.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 09:29:27 pm »
Seems like you might have a little length to spare. if you pike an inch off of each tip that would gain you some weight. It would depend on the length of your handle section and fades. You want to make sure you still have enough working limb for your draw length. Otherwise you'd just be trading draw weight for set.

[[Edit: Yeah, what Kenny said.  ;)]]

Offline grinner

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 09:34:26 pm »
yeah i thought of that I have 8 inchess non bending will  piking it change my tiller? And also how much weight would that add? THanks

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:06:08 pm »
Here is a formula I got somewhere. I used it once and it was pretty close.

how many inches to pike to add weight?

current length/current weight X additional pounds wanted / 5 = total inches to take off / 2 for each end.

how much weight will piking so many inches increase?

no of inches X current weight / current length X 5 = how much the weight will increase by taking 2 inches off each end.

Not sure if that is right, but it's all I have.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:10:37 pm »
Never heard of a formula to figured that out, pretty cool. Let us know if it works. I have heard, and in my experience, it's about 2#s per inch you take off.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 10:11:06 pm »
I agree with Kenny.  1 1/2" off each end will get you close.  Tiller should not change much if any.  That leaves you with 65".  Should be enough.  If you scraped off the tempered wood on the belly, temper again.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 10:16:49 pm »
how much have you shot it, after it's shot abit it will generally lose a few more #'s, got any pic's, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline grinner

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 11:00:03 pm »
Have only shot it 10 or so times and I am sorry but I dont have any pics I currently at college.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 11:06:11 pm »
if you can get a hundred or so arrows though it then wheigh it and see what ya got, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline grinner

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 11:15:53 pm »
ok then heat treat it again and pike it a couple inches? or is the heat treating not necessary. Thanks

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 11:35:13 pm »
Howdy,  Piking the bow is the easiest, but other options exist.   Flipping the tips would raise weight.  A full recurve is not necessary, but still possible with the length you've got.   Adding a backing?  Sinew can definitely add draw weight.   Planing the back and adding bamboo or hickory could raise the draw weight a lot.
Heck I've done all three ( piking, reflexed tips and sinew) and heat treating on one bow.   Just don't ask why I overshot the mark quite so far.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline grinner

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 11:39:03 pm »
yeah i thought about flipping the tips but it seems very risky for a beginner like me thanks for all the good advise

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 08:45:12 am »
  You have 3 choises.
 SHORTEN OR SINEW
 The third is put a been in the handle. I've did this when I really did'nt want to change the leath. I add my handles (stiff) early on after I get it cut into simi bow forms.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Weylin

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 11:40:12 am »
I've never sinew backed a bow before but I'm pretty sure that's not the best way to go for Grinner here. First and foremost it sounds like he's a beginner and sinew backing is challenging and time consuming. Secondly, his bow is fairly long and my understanding is that the benefits of sinew are negated by the added mass on a longer bow. Sinew backing a 68" bow might make it harder to draw but it will also be making it alot bulkier. Please correct me if I'm wrong.