Author Topic: Broken bow.  (Read 2753 times)

Offline sharpend60

Broken bow.
« on: September 10, 2012, 08:35:28 pm »
I broke another bow today. Had it tiller with in 3 inches of full draw, was making one last heat correction and POW! Done for.
That makes me, for this calender year...

1 win, 7 loses and 1 draw (bow is starting to fret)

Before I moved here I had my local woods dialed in.
Had only broke one bow, ever. A bow stringer broke 1 too now that I think about it.

The worst part is each one of these bows has been far enough along that I have invested some decent time in them. Some I havn't been suprised and others have just come out of the blue and exploded after hundreds of shots.
I know you win some, you lose some. But this is getting down right ridiculous.

Anybody else having a streak like this?

It sure makes me want a bandsaw...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:55:04 pm by sharpend60 »

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Re: Broken bow.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 08:42:52 pm »
Nobody likes broken bows. But every time a bow breaks you learn more  ;D In your next bows invest extra time into making them your best! GL

The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:43:01 pm »
My last 2 were failures, if you can call them that. I learned various lessons from both of them.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 08:57:31 pm »
I've been there. Sounds like you are pushing the limits with design or materials. Make the bow a little wider or longer, than you have been. Don't use anything but the best quality materials.

It usually happens to me when I'm trying an unproven type of wood, that looks good on paper with a high density, but ends up being weaker in tension and or compression than its statistics suggest.
                Hamish.

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:03:32 pm »
I think the very low MC has much to do with it.
Honestly, some of them have been me experimenting. I'm okay with those failing. Most of my breakage has been with Juniper, of which there is 75 million of out my from door.

If I use steam to correct problems, I get checks.
And dry heat, well Ive had mixed results. Like today.
I feel like I need to spend a small fortune in sinew to hold these darn thing together...

My whole archery world has flipped upside down.

Just frustrated, thats all.

A fine gentle man has hooked me up with some hickory, which is not native, to try and get a winner from that.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 09:21:09 pm »
Any of them osage?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 09:27:42 pm »
When i first started I was 0 for 14. Keeps me humble. Noting wrong with humble. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 09:43:09 pm »
No osage.
I havnt got a work bench or vice.

Not sure how to chase a ring without them or a shave horse, which I dont have either.

Ive been wantin to get away from juniper, I know they are prone to explosions but honestly, the bio diversity here is pretty dull.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 10:07:32 pm »
If you think the wood is getting to dry. Store your projects in the bathroom when your not working on them. Should even out the MC.
but we don't have drying issues here in the PNW :P
Miss home?

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 10:11:38 pm »
I already ran that one by my wife, needless to say, it aint gonna happen.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 10:58:28 pm »
Don't need anything fancy.  I've chased rings with my wannabe drawknife and a workout bench or stool.  I just sit on the stave (w/plenty of padding) and shave away.  not the best but it gets done.

Anywho, in that dry climate i'd be doing almost nothing but hickry.  It loves dry climates (but can get too dry).  I think too y'all are having an exceptionally dry year for 2012 if i remember correctly.  I say get after that hickry stave and make a winner!

BTW:  I've heard of some people leaving staves in the laundry room as well to keep hydrated.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 11:19:22 pm »
Couple of thoughts.  I have skinned Bois d'ark by standing it up against a tree.  A little tricky to get it started, but doable.  Sears Workmate.  I have one that's nearly 20 years old.  Straddle and go to town.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 12:05:54 am »
Anybody else having a streak like this?

You ain't even trying!  I broke three in one day.  Didn't touch a tool for a week, had me a bad case of the yips.  I looked like Shaq's golf swing!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 12:17:54 am »
Here's just some food for thought. I've recently purchased a book that was taken from the notes of a man named Otis Tufton Mason. He was a collaborator in ethnologyfor the Smithsonian in 1874 .He not only studied the collections but interviewed Native North Americans of the day as well as reviewing eyewitness accounts of the comings and goings of the afore mentioned. One very brief statement caught my attention. He said that the use of bear or other animal grease  was used to keep the back supple so it wouldn't break under strain. .........................Makes sense to me. The bows I personally had problems with were in the winter which tends to make them explode in a sudden and violent fashion, usually without warning. Summer is very humid here so bows seem to take more set and seem sluggish. Very dry in the winter and the wood becomes dry and brittle. Just something else to add to your note books. Oil and grease don't just waterproof. Just be careful with your finishing methods if you use them.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 01:38:45 am »
I've also heard of putting your projects in a box with a little bucket of water
Clatskanie, Oregon