Author Topic: bolo knife idea  (Read 4500 times)

Offline snedeker

bolo knife idea
« on: September 24, 2007, 12:07:26 pm »
I use a bowie knife for all my scraping.  just got used to it and never got aroundn to getting a cabinet scraper.  After 5 years, blade is getting worn.  Its an old Solingen copy of a buck type wtih the black handle.  I traded some herbal remedies for it back in college in '78.  I was looking at these bolo style blades, like those used on early 20th century Mauser bayonets.  See pic.  I was thinking it would be cool to redo handle set up with osage grips.  Other idea wound be to grind off tang area and do oas full tang with drilled osage handle and new brass hilt gaurd.  Maybe I could find one with broken composits grips.  I like the curve of the blade and the shape for holding.  Cool too.

Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: bolo knife idea
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 08:27:34 pm »
Dave,that's a cool looking blade.I haunt the Flea markets for old knives,just to use the blades.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

Re: bolo knife idea
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:59:37 am »
     That would make a neat looking knife.  But you might want to retemper it.  It is a Spanish bayonet, and being a bayonet, they were not tempered in the high rockwell, or brinnel ratings.  Might break off in an enemy if it had a hard temper.
You can find them occaisionally in Atlanta cutlery catalogues, and sometimes in the Sportsmans guide catalogues.

Stickbender