Author Topic: Spreading the Word  (Read 3004 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Spreading the Word
« on: October 02, 2012, 10:47:31 am »
Just curious, how many of you do what I do and take points in to work to let people see what we do?  I can't help it, I always toss them in my pocket and bring them in.  There's a handful of people here who come by and look at them when I do.  Then they always say something about how they plan to come to my house when the apocalypse happens.  LOL.  ;D

Anyway, here's this morning's display of points on my work table.  2 from Saturday, 3 from Sunday and 2 last night.  Most of them you've already seen in the Rainy Day thread.

I keep hoping somebody will want to come over and knapp with me, but so far no joy. :'(

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Josh B

Re: Spreading the Word
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:56:24 am »
Instead of just spreading the word, I seem to be spreading the points.  During the pleasant weather I tend to do a little knapping while waiting to load or unload.  When the customers figure out what I'm doing, they almost always ask for a point for there kids or grandkids or what have ya.  I'm always happy to oblige until I go to making arrows and realize that I done gave away all my points.  Oh well, guess I'll have to do a little more knapping.  Darn the bad luck! ;D. Josh

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 01:09:05 pm »
Its the same with me. I think I've given away twice as many as I have kept. I had to start making hunting points about 3 weeks ago. Otherwise I'd be hunting with sharp sticks.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 01:25:55 pm »
I used to give away quite a few myself, and 3 of those in the picture will go out with some bow wood tomorrow.  However, when my wife began making the flint point mobiles any point that doesn't go right on an arrow ends up in a mobile. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline coaster500

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 04:48:02 pm »
Very nice George !!

I like the one in the upper right corner :)

The few times I've tried it I just end up with crumbs  :embarassed:
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 05:12:58 pm »
Yep, I always have an arrowhead in view or in my pocket wherever I am.  And I bring them to show people, just like you.  It's good. 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 05:50:40 pm »
Here's the ones in my office. The case is my " too pretty to use" collection. A lot of them some of you will recognise. And the bowl is where I toss all of the ones I make.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 06:03:42 pm »
NICE Eddie!!!  That gives me something to aspire to.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 06:12:06 pm »
Thanks, George. I have to get another case. I've acquired some more very fine points from some of the excellent knappers on this site.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 09:35:44 pm »
I leave my most recent points out on my desk for my students to check out. Most of them like this sort of thing and I usually end up making points for them with parent approval and some kind of deal with making good grades in their weakest class. I am trying to get approval from my principal to have an after school group to knap and make bows, and small friction fires. We shall see ;)

Tracy
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:00:25 pm by TRACY »
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 09:50:16 pm »
Very nice Eddie. Quite the inspiration
" The self is not something ready made, but something in continuous formation through choice of action." (John Dewey)

Peachtree City, Georgia

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 10:04:11 pm »
Man I'm glad I'm not the only one!   ::)

I try to have one in my pocket or on my desk. Always figured I was just seekIng approval but hearing you all makes me feel normal again.  :D

Scott

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 10:40:29 pm »
Sambone, I only made three in that case, the others were made by other knappers here I got through point trades, gifts or bartering.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline warhawk

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 11:45:10 pm »
I practically give the ones i make away free to persons i just talk too. I think that in giving i learn to knapper better.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 01:23:10 pm »
Unlike ya'll I get paid to make points, besides doing it in my off time.  Most of what I make ends up in our local NDN gift shop. Of course I have to drop those off on my days off. Then there are the PITH exchanges that get a few sometimes if there is a good story from a visitor, birthday, anniversary or something like that then a lucky person or couple might get one out of my hand. Oh yeah, retirements and movin ons occassionally get points from me too.