Author Topic: How to "spine?"  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Guessed

How to "spine?"
« on: October 06, 2012, 03:33:14 pm »
This can be deleted if this thread answers my question(s): http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28697.0.html

...In a backroad there's brush that was cut away and placed in piles near the bush. It was to clear the areas near powerlines. Anyway, there's all sorts of nearly straight brush/small tree's in those piles. Yesterday I cut about 20 pieces out of one pile alone, they're not all rotted. Apparently they were cut about 2 months ago.

I only took 2 types of wood, one has grey skin (poplar?) and the other are young birch branches/trees that look red. Whatever they are they were incredibly stiff. I left 'em near a heating vent last night and now they're even more stiff

So, to prevent these things from breaking and going into my wrist, how do I "spine" them?

Like I don't want one to break, cut an important vein and then bleed to death in the bush lol.

Offline Weylin

Re: How to "spine?"
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 04:56:19 pm »
the spine of an arrow is determined by how much a  shaft is bent by a 2 lb. weight hung from the center of the shaft while the shaft is being suspended by two points 26" apart. If you dont have a contraption to do this you can approximate it if you have an arrow of known spine by comparing the deflection between the known shaft and the unknown shaft.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 01:49:09 am »
You are worried about the shaft breaking and injurying you because the spine is too stiff or too soft? I be more worried about them breaking because they have been dead for 2 months and not treated properly after they were cut. I personally would not use these shoots for arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Guessed

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 02:48:30 am »
lol, these blasted arrows!!

The local Canadian Tire only had 3 arrows when I bought them, they're carbon express "rebels" 4560. I lost 1 in the bush and broke 2 on my dads metal bow with "fandangled" wheels. They still  haven't restocked so I was hoping to make 'em.

I suppose like bows it's cut then let season? *tears hair out*

In reading the post I somewhat understood the spining bit. By measuring the bend in the "good arrow" with the weight attached, it gives you a reference for other arrows so you're not just guessing. After that you just look for shafts with that same bend-ish.