Author Topic: "Grandpa John" my Black Locust Bow  (Read 9569 times)

Offline LimbLover

"Grandpa John" my Black Locust Bow
« on: October 06, 2012, 09:46:52 pm »
FINISHED PICS ON PAGE 2

This is my second successful bow, and my first pyramid design. I am happy to post it as I have been glued to this site for the past year, trying to learn whatever I can and admiring the works of all of you.

Here is the story…

My Grandfather is a tremendous woodworker. When he heard I was starting to build bows, he brought me to his barn and showed me a pile of black locust someone had given him. Three boards caught my eye after sifting through it awhile. They were fairly wide, enabling me to trim around the major imperfections with a table saw. Still, I wasn’t sure they would make a bow.

I botched the first, attempting to make a narrow longbow, and it came in far too light. After reading Volume 1 of the TBB, I thought a pyramid style would work the best. The limbs taper from 3” to ˝” with 6” of handle. I was originally going for a bendy handle, but at 66” long I decided an elliptical tiller made more sense. The top limb is a bit weaker, but the bow shoots smoothly and accurately as it sits, and has little set (about 1-1.5”) at both limbs.

I backed with a gray silk shirt I found at Goodwill and Titebond III. I dyed the shirt with Fiebings to camouflage the limbs a bit as this will be a hunting bow. I dyed the tips black for fun..wanted them to look tempered. I finished with 5 coats of wipe-on polyurethane on the belly and a spray waterproof matte on the back. The shelf is a tapered wood dowel that sits 1” above center. I bulked the handle with leather and wrapped with twine.

It pulls 60# @ 30” and really whips a heavy 65/70 cedar with heavy tip.

I’ve named it “Grandpa John” after my Grandfather and hope to show it to him at Thanksgiving.

Thank you for looking!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:48:14 pm by LimbLover »

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Re: "Grandpa John" my Black Locust Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 10:41:47 pm »
Seriously awesome bow! I like the tips dark like that too, it somehow adds some character to the bow.  ;)
Very cool that you made a bow from the wood your gramps gave you, too.
Nice work  8)
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline LimbLover

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 10:46:55 pm »
Thanks! Here is the board actually. I forgot this one.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 10:53:09 pm »
Nice job on that one!! 8)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 11:33:35 pm »
Nice job on her ::). I like those black tip..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 07:43:42 am »
Great looking bow and a nice sentiment too, good allround  8)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 08:42:11 am »
Very nice looking bow and great story!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 09:56:37 am »
That turned out sweet Nick!! Hang on to that one. Lot's of good mojo in that chunk of wood, being from gramps and all. I still think ya should be hunting with it this season. You still have time to take a deer with it, show gramps the bow at thanksgiving, AND give him some meat harvested with it. ;D Nice work!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 10:09:53 am »
That is a beauty! Your Grandfather will love it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 11:09:10 am »
That is sweet!  I like that a lot! Josh

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 11:28:31 am »
Cool bow and looks to be a shooter. What do you think of the black locust? I personally love it as a bow wood, good in performance and a
very pretty wood to boot. Enjoy shooting yours.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline LimbLover

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 12:02:55 pm »
Cool bow and looks to be a shooter. What do you think of the black locust? I personally love it as a bow wood, good in performance and a
very pretty wood to boot. Enjoy shooting yours.
Greg

I love black locust. Now I haven't worked with much in comparison, just oak and hickory, but it is beautiful wood. I wish I would have left the backing off and worked it down but I really wanted this one to be successful and didn't take my chances. Both locust boards yielded bows that flexed really nice but I notice they take set easily, which is why I used that wide pyramid and worked real slow

The wood also has a lot of little tight knot clusters. Otherwise great to shave down. I'd like to work an actual stave of it down. For now I'm going back to the attic to pick some more!

I am going to hunt with it Dave. Maybe tonight!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 06:51:30 pm »
I think you made yourself a family heirloom! Enjoy that fine bow and good luck this season.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline druid

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 05:22:13 am »
Great bow.

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 05:51:56 am »
Well sir, while I think the tiller could use a bit of touch up, I have to say, wood working skills were not lost on you. Everybody learns to tiller, but honestly, fine craftsmanship is something that just doesnt land on everybody. You have some nice skills, good job!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others