Author Topic: Chokecherry - *Patching in Progress* Added link to video  (Read 8350 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Chokecherry - *Patching in Progress* Added link to video
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:35:14 pm »
Well it's been over a year since I last posted a bow here, so I was looking forward to showing this one off.  I have been slowly chipping away at it for over a year, working on it a little bit here and there.  It was an evolving project that started off being a holmie-ish bow, which I later decided to try heat treating and flipping the tips slightly.  It ended up being in the low 40's at 28" draw, but I had put over 100 arrows through her, and after some tweaking with the knocking point and brace height, it was one of my sweetest shooters to date.  The string ended up tracking just to the right of the handle, and being a lefty, this was a pleasant accident because it seemed to shoot all of my arrows close to the same, regardless of spine.  I was grouping arrows with this bow like I never have before.  I put 3 coats of poly on it and I was just contemplating what to do for a handle wrap when I decided to take some pictures before I put it on because there were some nice looking knots in the handle area.  So after taking some glamor shots, I asked the better half if she could take some full draw pictures for me.  I had her held back for about 15 or 20 seconds while she snapped away (I know, I'm a retard!), and that's when I heard the sound of heartbreak - "TICK"  After inspection I found that the back had failed at the location of a pin knot pretty much right at midlimb.  I'm pretty bummed right now, but I know that this type of thing happens...

Here are a few pictures of the bow that might have been.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:54:45 am by Cameroo »

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Chokecherry - First Successful Selfbow - Or NOT!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 06:40:04 pm »
Man. I was just slobbering over the pics when I read your bad news. I love the shape on that one and hate to hear she bit the dust!! :'(
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 06:48:27 pm »
Dude....brace it,shoot some liquid control super glue in the crack n then umbrace it,then rawhide back it. That one is worth salvaging in my opinion

Looks sweet

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 06:50:48 pm »
She didnt bite the dust...

Patch her up, keep shooting while ya keep building the next.
Super glue then wrap in sinew, rawhide or thread.

I think the most important trait in an artist is to make the mistakes work.
Think Michelangelo never struck an errant blow while whacking away on some marble?

I like the bow, it would be a shame to toss it in the fire pit.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 06:55:29 pm »
Dad-blatted rass-afrattin' fuddermutzin' rushaschmutz!  GaRRR!  She's too pretty to fail!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 07:02:19 pm »
I'm going to try super glue, a wrapping of thread, and then more CA (or maybe just coat the wrapping in polyurethane?).  The crack runs about 1.5-2 inches along the back, and is a splinter about 1/8" wide.  I couldn't really get the camera to focus properly for a close-up.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.  Now that I'm done feeling sorry for myself, I suppose it's not as catastrophic as I first thought.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 07:10:39 pm »
Good luck, Cam.  It's never catastrophic until it is!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 07:16:17 pm »
Since its cherry and a known possible prone to being weak in tension,I wood rawhide the working portion of the limbs. A patch will only cure that one isolated spot. It might be the only weak spot and will hold with a patch,but it has already shown being overstressed in tension,and rawhide backing is a much better solution. It covers all the bases instead of one.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 07:42:39 pm »
You are probably right blackhawk, I just didn't want to cover it up :) But I suppose if I want it to survive that would be wise.  I will do as you suggested, thanks for the advice.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 07:55:57 pm »
  I have read the opinion of others, who might say in cases like this to move on to the next one.  I won't give up on one 'till it's broke.  That one is to sweet not try and fix it IMO.  CA glue and rawhide back it.  Thicker rawhide if it were me.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 08:47:33 pm »
Doesn't look half bad to me. I've had 1" by 16" splinters come off and it still shoots.....
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 09:34:51 pm »
Yes please try to save her......that brace shot and full draw look nice.  Well worth saving.  You did a good job.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Weylin

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 09:35:54 pm »
I just had an osage molle fail in exactly the same way and I superglued it, rawhide backed it, wrapped it with serving thread soaked in super glue and never heard from that crack again. I have about 1000 arrows through the bow now.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 01:00:53 am »
Sound advice about the super glue and rawhide.You'll be shooting her yet 5 years from now or more.Looks like it is mostly sapwood correct? Except for some heartwood in the handle.Reason I asked is I've got some choke cherry here too on my assembly line I'd like to get to sometime.Thanks for posting yours.It has a very good side view profile braced and unbraced.I'll put some yearling deer hide on the back of mine.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline dwardo

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 06:15:29 am »
nooo, poor thing. I have very little experience repairing bows but there are a lot on here that do.
Must be worth a shot.