Author Topic: Points too light?  (Read 9486 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Points too light?
« on: October 10, 2012, 02:11:29 am »
I've been working on my thinning lately and it's really starting to come around (as long as I use heated rock).

But, now I'm having trouble keeping the point weight up.  This one ended up 94 grains. 

Not sure what I should do to not make them so light.  Seems like by the time I have the base thin enough to put in a cane shaft I'm under 100 grains. ???  I had another thin triangle point done tonight but I broke it trying to see how close to center I could notch it. ::)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Points too light?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 02:15:14 am »
I don't know but that looks awful good George.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 08:05:56 am »
George my hunting points weigh between 90 & 110 grains. With proper shot placement they work great.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 08:40:41 am »
I never worry about the weight. I have some on foreshafts that are real small that weigh around 50 grains. I try to match them with full length, heavy arrows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 12:54:47 pm »
OK, that makes me feel a little better.  I made another point this morning from raw stone, was actually taking the coretex off a tab and got a piece large enough for a point.  I did OK, but got an island of coretex on that side.

The point was pretty thin other than that.

I was able to turn the edge on the base and knock a little of it off...

But it fought me bad from there on out.  I tried bringing the sides in and raising the edge on that side but nothing worked.  Finally I sharpened my ishi, hooked the edge of the coretex and knocked it off with indirect.

I had tried that earlier and had no luck.  Guess I wasn't as desperate then.  Had to go to gloves to keep it from cutting me when I was whacking it so hard.  Not the prettiest point and the symmetry is off, but I think it'll hunt.  Sadly, by the time I was done fighting it, instead of a heavier, wider point I ended up with what you see and 90gr.  O well, at least it didn't end up in the debitage pile. :)  I guess I should have quit and left that small island of coretex and had a heavier point, but my OCD nature wouldn't allow it. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 12:59:26 pm »
Sometimes you can grind it down till it's smooth.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 03:44:42 pm »
All looks good to me! Stay at it man, you've done whupped that dog!

Scott

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 01:15:56 am »
My points are always very light.  I've been trying lately to get better at converting actual designs to "modern" weight standards.  Here's what I came up with:

Most real arrow points have about a 6:1 width to thickness ratio.  Modern weight requirements put points somewhere in the 4:1 ratio.  If the point is an inch wide, that means it's 1/4" thick.  That's about the thickest I go.

The point at the far right has a 4:1 ratio and the one on the far left has a 6:1 ratio.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 01:48:39 am »
Jackcrafty those are some nice points! i want to get to that consistency in my handiwork!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 03:59:42 am »
the way i see it most of the animals killed buy stone were killed with what everyone calls bird points, i think as long as you meet your state size requirements you gonna do just fine, long as you hit your mark
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 05:59:17 am »
I didn't worry that much about weight until I began shooting cane arrows. It wasn't too hard to make a point to haft onto a dogwood arrow and have it weigh 125gr or more. But, these cane arrows are teeny!  Beeman has nothing on these little shafts.  I had to make all new points and the bases had to be THIN!! And that's what got me into this issue.  Also,  since I have some compound target archery in my past, things like FOC are ingrained into me. I'll quit worrying about it, or start gluing finishing nails in the point end. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 04:43:59 pm »
old habits are hard to break George, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 10:54:20 pm »
George,
 I've got the same problem, but I'm learning. For more years than I can remember I've been throwing arrows from 50-60# high performance recurves and a few hybrids.
When Ashby began printing his studies I began loading up my front end trying to achieve the best possible FOC.
 About 5 years ago I became disenchanted only because it seemed to me that I was complicating something that should be simple, easy, and most of all fun. and that's about when I found PA.
I sold, traded, or gave to the kids and the grandkids my horded collection.
I actually traded 2 that I purchased back later that will probably always remain in my Favorite arsenal. (63 RWH and a Quillian Canebrake). I will probably never shoot another store bought bow now that I have the bug and all of the help to perfect my own.
I think there's something magical about stone points and the ones I've found out here on the creek bottom are smaller than most of the ones I see being made today

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 01:56:38 am »
I hear you Fred.

I tried again tonight and got 2 points.  Both are small.

The larger point on the left is thinner and weighs 80gr.  The one on the right I really concentrated on leaving a center ridge and it weighs right at 100gr.  Once I can get a roaster and cook some rock I'll be able to work on some larger spalls.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 02:05:44 am »
wow, im impressed! looks better than the stuff ive been turning out recently. Nice job!  8)
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)