Author Topic: Making rawhide  (Read 12399 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Making rawhide
« on: October 21, 2012, 05:51:22 pm »
I was going to try making some rawhide out of a deer hide, but I am having a hard time finding the "hydrated lime" required to help get the hair to slip faster.  I have checked a few places, from farm stores to hardware stores, but can't find it.  Does anyone know of a specific store (in Canada) that sells it? Or something else easily available that will do the same job? Thanks in advance.

I think I may be dealing with a divorce in the near future, after mentioning soaking a deer hide in the basement bathroom... maybe it's best if I don't find it... ;)

Edit: One more question - considering the potential divorce - would the hair even slip if it was soaked in near-freezing water outside in the garage?  I can handle waiting longer, but I don't want to leave it for weeks only to find that it's not going to slip at all.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 06:30:44 pm by Cameroo »

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Making rawhide - but where can I buy hydrated lime?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 06:02:27 pm »
Here you go:
 "Pickling lime is powdered calcium hydroxide, and is also known as slaked lime. It should not be confused with industrial quick lime, burnt lime or agricultural lime, which are toxic. Pickling lime can still be found in grocery stores in the pickling section, but is readily available from online vendors."

Just make sure to keep it away from aluminum, it eats it up pretty badly.  Go invest in a cheap plastic garbage can to do your hides outdoors.  Assume for the sake of home and harmony that Mrs. Cam is always right!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 06:16:09 pm »
Try ashes and water.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 06:26:24 pm »
I've read that the lye in hardwood ashes will work too Eddie, but I don't have a woodstove and I cleaned out the fire pit earlier this year, so I'd have to have a bonfire to get enough ashes. I just figured going to the store would be easier.

I have already admitted defeat J-Dub, I'll be working outside.  You gotta pick your battles, and this one just ain't worth winning :)  But the fact that she's questioning my sanity just shows how society has lost touch with our ancestors'  way of life.  I guess this type of thing just doesn't seem unusual to a farm kid living in the city.

Offline aaron

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 12:06:15 pm »
other substitute besides wood ashes is potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide (red devil lye). 10 gal water + 4 oz lye.
i use wood ashes
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Stoker

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 12:17:49 pm »
Try Halford hides there in Edmonton and Calgary. They sell tanning supplies and their mail order is good. Water will work by it's self but it'll take time in this cold climate. Find a flowing stream or section or river weigh down the hide with rocks. Check every coupla days move rocks around. Take about 2-3 weeks check by pulling hair. NOTE: wear warm rubber boots
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 12:40:02 pm »
You can also dry scrape the hair off of the hide. That's how Pappy does it when he's making brain tanned.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 01:01:33 pm »
Hard wood ashes work good, two or three days in the lye bath and the hair slips right off.  Then rinse w/ a little vinegar and stretch it.  Someone near you has a wood stove and ashes they are willing to part with.  Good luck, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 06:53:14 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I want to get this done as soon as I can since winter is coming and a frozen hide likely won't dry out that well :)  I think I'll try the sodium hydroxide AKA lye AKA caustic soda AKA drain cleaner.  I just don't want to mix it too strong and ruin the hide.  I'll try your proportions Aaron and see how that works out.

Thanks again

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 08:53:01 pm »
I always stretch and dry scrape the hair off. Lots faster and it doesnt smell.
Steve Bennett

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 11:51:00 pm »
Wouldn't that be a lot harder to dry scrape the hair off than to have it basically wipe off with your hand?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 01:27:56 am »
Here's a link to some hydrated lime sold in Canada.  You might want to check the garden section of the local hardware store or go where farmers get their chemicals and feeds.

Hydrated lime is used in many applications including water and waste treatment, soil stabilization, agricultural applications, asphalt modification and flue gas desulfurization.
---http://ca.brockwhite.com/0p46i870/graymont-hydrated-lime/
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 09:16:33 am »
I rack the hide and dry scrape also,not sure on where to get the lime,I know a lot do it that way ,just never tried it. I was told early on that to slip the hair you had to ALMOST spoil the hide[I would say that is right] and you would get better quality rawhide/brain tanned leather by scraping so that is how I have always done it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 10:55:32 am »
Wouldn't that be a lot harder to dry scrape the hair off than to have it basically wipe off with your hand?

Yes it is harder but only takes one day in good weather to get hide dry, and maybe an hour to scrape it.  lots faster than letting it soak for a week first.
Steve Bennett

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 11:32:06 am »
I'm with you turtle,a little more labor intense but much faster and not much mess if you are scraping it right and getting the membrane with the hair,it comes of on sheets.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good