Author Topic: tanning questions  (Read 2172 times)

Offline anasazi

tanning questions
« on: October 25, 2012, 05:57:51 pm »
I have a skunk skin i am wanting to tan and dont want to waste my deer brains what else will work?  I heard that egg yolk works but how do you do it?  Is it used like brains?  The brains i have are saved for some deer skins.

Offline nclonghunter

Re: tanning questions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:42:15 pm »
pig brains work fine...or pork brains they are called
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline anasazi

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:24:33 pm »
Do any grocery stores sell them that you know of my options hear are a little slim the only butcher i know of is about 45 min away and i dont think the local one ( commercial)  can let you have them. Some usda thing

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 08:54:15 pm »
i have done egg tan with whole eggs. just beat em up well with a little water and if you want insurance, add a little unscented fabric softener and or olive oil.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 09:13:40 pm »
I have purchased pig brains at IGA stores before. But you have go ask for them in advance.
Steve Bennett

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 11:50:05 pm »
I have bought them at Lowes Foods and Food Lion stores. Another place is a "deer" butcher or processor who cuts up deer for hunters. You can get lots of brains there and then freeze them. Also, horse/cowboy type stores can order ??sulfanated or ??unsulfanated neatsfoot oil...cann't remember which one blends with water, but the one that does is what you want. The oil in brains blends with water and that is what you want. As mentioned egg whites will work. Last but not least, look at Van Dykes Taxidermy website and you can order tanning oils....

Good Luck and remember you must get the grain off the hide for brain/oil tanning
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes