Author Topic: Two sets of Hunting Arrows  (Read 7512 times)

Offline Patches

Two sets of Hunting Arrows
« on: October 30, 2012, 03:38:42 pm »
These are a couple sets of hunting arrows I made this year.  The first are from river cane I got in Southeast Missouri.  These arrows were my first attempt at hunting arrows.  Unfortunately, I shot one of them into a steel fence post.  The arrow didn't fair too well, and now I just have two left.

The second set is made of spruce.  Originally there were 6, but the very first one that I shot broke into 3 peices, so now there are just 5.  If you have not guessed, I am rough on arrows!  ;) Hopefully that will get me through hutning season.  When I stained them, I realized that it was too dark and would be really hard to find in the woods when I missed a target, so I decided to crest them.  I made a homemade cresting machine, and after some practice painting on dow rods, this is what I came up with.  Thanks for looking. 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: Two sets of Hunting Arrows
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 03:42:05 pm »
Great looking arrows.  I would love to see some close up's of the nodes on your cane arrows?  They look pretty straight?

Offline danny f

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 03:56:02 pm »
nice arrows you did a great job with them.

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:15:52 pm »
very fine sir!!!   hope ya get to put 'em "where they belong, eh?" ::)
rich

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 04:33:55 pm »
I'm curious about your cresting machine. The cresting look very well done.
Id hate to lose one of those suckers.

Ive got an old sewing machine, thats just waiting to be turned into a crester.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 09:33:59 pm »
Those cedar arrows are stunning! Sweet job!

Jon

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 10:33:47 pm »
Nice arrows.
Rob

Offline Patches

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 03:33:50 pm »
Sharpend60 - Here are photos of my cresting jig.  Its a cheap rotary tool, a lamp dimmer switch to control the RPMs on the rotary tool, plastic tubing to attach the arrow to the tool, a board, and some scrap lumber to hold the tool in place. I got about $15 in the whole thing.  The dow rod in the photo was one I was practicing on.

Stringstretcher - I have attached a couple photos of the nodes on the river cane.  I put adapters on these arrows so I could swtich out the arrowheads.  It seems to have worked so far. 

"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline BearBoy31

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 11:23:21 pm »
Great looking arrows some of you guys have real talent when it comes to making arrows
Little I won't do dang little I won't try

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 09:27:22 am »
Nice looking arrows.  I bet that dremal really puts a spin on them shafts.  :o  Neat idea!!  dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline StickBowHunter

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 08:12:58 pm »
Very nice looking arrows!

Offline Forresterwoods

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 05:37:02 pm »
Yes...great looking arrows. I may have an option for ya. I'm making some hardwood shafts and the eastern maple is strong as nails. (I hit a metal post at close range with  a couple and only had to cut an inch off and replace the point). I'm also making them out of ash, teak, leopardwood and brazilian cherry...harder but heavier than maple. If you want more information about them you can email me at...kf571_2000@yahoo.com
Kevin..."If God had meant for us to use fiberglass bows, He would have made fiberglass trees".

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 07:31:35 am »
Great looking arrows. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Patches

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 03:22:21 pm »
Bowtarist - that dremel spins at about 16000 rpm, a little slower with a arrow attached.  that is why I put the lamp dimmer on.  It slowed it WAY down, but I can still crank it up to the point it throws the paint off the shaft!  It seems the slower the dow turns the better. 

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 12:00:52 pm »
Patches,  I am super impressed!  Nice work on those spruce arrows.  They look great.  The cresting looks fabulous.  Your cane arrows show good craftsmanship too. 

Keep that up.