Author Topic: What's the dif?  (Read 1925 times)

Offline k-hat

What's the dif?
« on: October 31, 2012, 09:40:34 am »
Between ferr-l-tite hotmelt glue and the heavy duty stuff you get at the craft store??  I've been using the latter because it's on hand.  No problems except lost a couple of points in a target bag while shooting in 100 degree heat this summer.  I've heard of the same with the ferr-l-tite.  What do y'all use?  I also tried some ca glue on some points that i didn't care if they ever came off.  So far so good.

Offline sonny

Re: What's the dif?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 10:44:49 am »
Ferr-l-tite is much too brittle IMO. I like the amber colored hot melt glue as it's much more flexible, making
it better at shock resistance.
I don't remember ever losing a field point glued on with hot melt. I do thoroughly clean them with acetone before
gluing on.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 12:51:58 pm »
5min in epoxy works great.

Longer working time to get things lined up.
Its easy to do a dozen arrows at a time as well.

Believe it or not just heat it up an the pinot pops right off if you need a change

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 04:39:36 pm »
Ferr-l-tite is more brittle and you need to get the point real hot (after a good cleaning) to have it stick the best. I don't think it was initially developed with foam 3D targets in mind, in my opinion anyway. I like epoxy for holding on my points and BHs, but I still have ferr-l-tite in the tool box, just in case I need a quick repair.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 07:44:40 pm »
Ok, thanks for the info.  I went on and ordered it so i could at least test it for myself.  At least now i know that if it doesn't work well enough it may not be the operator ;D

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 11:47:46 pm »
What kinda 5 min epoxy ya'll using?
I been using ferrlite since a started building my own arras a few years and have had a few points come off. Not many but a few in hard 3d targets. Hadn't thougt of cleaning with acetone...I'll remember that trick next week when mount the points and broadheads the dozen I am finishing up for my father.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 11:58:34 pm »
I started out using Ferr-l-tite and switched over to hobby store glue sticks.  For the price of one stick of that amber stuff I could buy a dozen sticks of the cheap stuff.  Yeah, and lost my shirt buying new field points! 

I've back to using the more expensive, but effective stuff. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.