Author Topic: shaft material ??  (Read 5049 times)

Offline nativenoobowyer86

shaft material ??
« on: November 10, 2012, 06:29:24 pm »
HI everyone,

I am looking in to making heavier weight shafts for hunting.  what would you recommend?? i have tried POC and Sitka Spruce, and even Lodgepole pine commercial shafts, but i want something that is heavier and that i can make myself.  I know that 3rivers heaviest shaft is lam'd birch, is a laminated shaft a good option? i want the grain weight to be up over 600 gr @ 30in so that my total arrow weight is over 700, in case i happen to come up on a moose, and increased penetration on deer :)

also, i am starting to think a spine tester is critical to home-made arrows.  i dont watn to dish out the $$ for one and am very intimidated by making one ahaha, is it that hard?
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: shaft material ??
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 07:12:40 pm »
use poplar or ash for shafts.  Durable and heavier than POC or spruce.  Making a testor is no biggie - dont be intimidated.  I followed the 2jays build, and found it quite easy.  Just google 2Jays and you will see what I mean.  It works great.

Russ

Offline DavidV

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 10:21:16 pm »
Sam Harper has a good build along for a spine tester, it's very simple.
Springfield, MO

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 01:20:49 am »
i've got some of those lamed birch shfts, they shoot great out of my heavy bows, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 11:49:28 pm »
Oak makes decent shafts as well as Ash, Poplar (lighter) Birch, Yellow birch (if you can find straight stuff) ,Hickory. The heavy hard wood shafts  are going to be pretty high spine unless made  smaller dia. I make my shafts with a 3/8 dowel cutter from Lee Valley (around $25 -30 with the socket for the drill) The hardwood usually comes in between 65-100 lbs. These are just offcuts from the shop. Yes you do need a spine tester as I've cut dowels from a 4x4 cedar post and had a range form 25 -65+ lbs in the same section, depending on where it falls from within the tree. One side of the tree almost allways has more dense growthrings than the other coupled with the center is always more dense than the sapwood. If you aren't getting the wood very cheap,or free it may not be economically  beneficial to make your own unless you have a wide range of spine  that you can make arrows for.Otherwise Go for it. Great satisfaction comes from making every part of the finished  system!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 12:06:39 am »
With native cane and hardwood shoots you can get the heavier weights, more durability because they are shoots and not split or sawn out and are more spine tollerent because of their natural taper...and they are free.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 12:36:11 pm »
Red Osier Dog Wood seems to be my new choice for heavier arrows.  I like the cane too. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 02:20:14 pm »
Hey matt, I'm in the same boat as you are, wanna go splits on a spine tester? I figure with our close proximity 365 km  :P we can spin them suckers out on mass. What say you? :D

By the way Im getting some white oak and ERC  8)

Offline Forresterwoods

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 05:29:52 pm »
I'm currently making hunting shafts that look and work incredibly well. I use quarter sawn eastern hard maple, teak, leopardwood, brazilian cherry. These spine from 50 lbs in 5/16 in the maple...to 130 lbs in 23/64 in leopardwood. You can email me if you want info on some testing I've done. (For example I'm able to use a lighter spine with hardwoods as thet recover quicker than softwoods). My email is kf571_2000@yahoo.com.
Kevin

Offline Scowler

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 08:18:52 pm »
Ash and Oak make good, heavy arrows.  I think that someone posted on this site awhile back about Hickory making good arrows as well.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 12:03:25 pm »
yep i 've made some tapered hickory arrows (heartwood) that are 3/8 at the point and 11/32 at the nock they all spined between 70# and 80# even when cut from 3 different boards.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 11:35:19 am »
Dogwood.Normal shafts will be 11/32",55# to 60# spine,600 to 700 grain on a 29 and 1/2" bare shaft with a 125 field point for a 28" draw.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 01:51:02 pm »
Dogwood shoots in their second year make heavy, strong shafts indeed.
Don't shoot!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 01:56:36 pm »
dogwood
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 02:00:56 pm »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!