Author Topic: Trade Points?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline DavidV

Trade Points?
« on: November 10, 2012, 10:19:03 pm »
I'm thinking about making trade points for squirrels or maybe bigger game . I don't have any old sawblades but I was snooping around and found some metal bands that used to go over whiskey barrels I believe. They are about 1/16" thick or less. Do you think they would make a good head or would the steel be bad? Also, I'm not sure how to cut them out, my grinder which I used with a cutting wheel was stolen.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:44:20 pm by DavidV »
Springfield, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Trade Points?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 12:29:48 pm »
David, The bands on whiskey barrels should make good trade points but they will probably be a bit heavy. You can use a cold chisel to score the metal then break them off of the stock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DavidV

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 04:00:25 pm »
Problem solved, I found the metal cutting blade for my jigsaw (Hope it works). Also found a circular sawblade I might use for knife blanks after I get a belt sander.
Springfield, MO

Offline DavidV

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 11:04:44 pm »
Another question, I'm pretty green with sharpening. What angle should the edge be and are there any advantages to having single beveled broadheads?
Springfield, MO

Offline handirifle

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 12:13:49 am »
Over at the Traditional Bowhunter forum, Dr Ashbey has tons f articles on high FOC arrows, and the single bevel heads.  His determination was that a 25deg bevel was the best compromise of penetration, holding an edge and ease of resharpening.

Are you thinking of mounting these in a slot in the end of the arrow, as a flint head would?

I have made heads with steel screw in ferrules, and the blade thickness is .060" and about 2.5" long.  These weigh 300gr.  That is a little less than your bands would produce.

Sheet metal of about 20ga is right about .040" thick, and that is about as thin as I would go, unless you find a high carbon (1% or more) steel, and you can temper it, otherwise it will bend to easy on impact with anything even slightly hard.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 10:48:48 pm »
Yes, I was planning on slotting them in the shaft.

I cut out 2 so far, simple triangular shape, 1 inch wide by 2 inches long just to get a feel for the process. I sharpened one with a single bevel at 25* like you said but the problem I found is that the point is wide and square because of the single bevel. Are most heads like this or did I do something wrong in the process? I would think there wouldn't be much penetration... I may be wrong.
Springfield, MO

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 11:26:02 pm »
I had the same problem when I tried using a single bevel.  I ground the point down a little.  It worked out well.  This point is not sharpened yet, but you can see the angle I put on the tip.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left