Author Topic: Looking at a bow  (Read 1789 times)

Offline YosemiteBen

Looking at a bow
« on: November 15, 2012, 01:00:34 pm »
I have got a couple of bows now - even one from Mr Bubby!  On my local internet provider there is a classified section - a fella is lloking to get rid of a Recurve Sierra model 18 for $50 - He has not psoted a pic yet though - says he is gonna - any thoughts out there?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Looking at a bow
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 01:25:09 pm »
Sorry I don't understand the concept of buying a bow... :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 01:33:51 pm »
I'd never buy a second hand product without an actual photo.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 11:15:22 pm »
Sounds like an older model Shakespeare and if in decent condition the price sounds fair. I've owned a lot of the old 50's and 60's recurves and still have a few of them that I enjoy shooting.
One of my favorites is a 1963 Red Wing Hunter and I just traded for a 1960 Kodiak that was recently refinished.  Both are remarkable bows even though I didn't make them.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 09:35:19 am »
I have a few of the 50's and 60's bows ::) and most of them shoot great. Even though I like shooting the bows I make there is something about hunting with a bow that is 50 years old or older.

Like Fred said, it sounds like a fair price if the limbs aren't twisted too bad. make sure you see a picture with a string on it and one with the tips at full draw if you can't hold it before buying.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 01:15:21 pm »
@ Del - If you want to come clean my garage - help me get it set up to make bows - take over my real job - the honey do list and, and...... Then I might be able to make my own bow. In the meantime.... My son likes bows too so we just keep adding to our collection.