Author Topic: A Few Unfinished Arrows- Eastern Two Fletch Video Added. Criticism appreciated.  (Read 9118 times)

Offline Dictionary

Here are a few arrows ive made from some shafts i collected about 7 months ago. Unknown shaft material, just used what was growing near me when i lived in GA.

Id like some advice on improving my fletching and also i am in need of some better ideas for heads.

Ive lost like 5 arrows already. I was usiing bone arrowheads and broke EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. I mean every one. So im thinking about taking a break from bone. Im currently just using these arrows for target shooting at cardboard boxes but i miss alot which is why the bone broke but anyhow i will eventually use them for small game as i transition into learning how to hunt with these weapons i make. Ive looked through the small game heads sticky and the other thing i can think of is using a nut as the head.......any other ideas would be GREAT!

My fletching style: I wrap around the shaft to secure the tag end, then begin wrapping around the front of the feathers until i feel its enough then i begin wrapping around the feather till i get to the other end closest to the nock and wrap that area. I secure the tag end there with a nail knot(using a seperate peice of string and forming a loop, wrapping around the loop, then pulling tag end through loop). I'd like to improve this any way possible.

Also 3 shafts that have been straightened and had 3 coats of Poly you're insane. I don't try and cover up the heated areas. I like them to show.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:24:02 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Ifrit617

Re: A Few Unfinished Arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 11:22:38 pm »
I think that those arrows are looking really good!

You can't beat nutters for small game points. They are hard to lose, dirt cheap, durable, and will pack a wallop. To install the nut, I first taper then fire harden the shaft, then coat the tapered tip with superglue. Then I stick the nut on the shaft and crank it on with a pair of pliers.

You fletching looks pretty good. Fetching by hand with no glue only gets easier with practice. Eastern woodland 2-fletch is much much easier. Check out some of Jackcrafty's build alongs in the how-to section. They are great!

Jon

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 11:35:16 pm »
Arrows look great IMO!

My thoughts on the points is that they may not be heavy enough for a higher spine shaft that you are using and that is only an assumption on my part. If they aren't flying correctly from your bow then it is probably spine related.

Also I agree with Jon on using a 2 fletch on those shafts. They would be easier to mount at 180 degrees and fly much better than the 3 fletch your photos indicate are not balanced for optimum flight.

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 09:34:25 am »
"Nutters" are good targets points like Ifrit617 said.  You might also want to try commercial field points.  They are not necessarily primitive but they work well.  I use them and I imagine most primitive archers (at least in the U.S.) use them as well.  Your two "hen" feathers look like they are positioned at 180 degrees. Try moving them a little bit to the right, referrencing the photo viewed from the nock end of the arrow.  Study other people's arrows as to proper fletching placement.  As far as tying on fletchings I tie on the back "tag" end of the "cock" feather with an 8" piece of art. sinew, thread, etc... using a simple running knot.  I insure that I use only the first 1/3 (or so) of the binding material for this first tie.  The extra binding material is used to tie on the remaining "hen" feathers.  Thus secured I can position the feathers where I want with one hand without fear of them falling off.  At this point I can either completely wrap all three back "tags".  Then I tie the front "tags" of the fletchings, ensure that I have them positioned properly, then wrap them.  You can spiral wrap the entire lengh of the fletchings if you desire, add several individual "ties" within the lengh of the fletchings, or add no binding at all within the lengh of the fletchings.  Good luck.     

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 11:59:11 am »
I am going to look into eastern two fletch. So there seems to be opposing views on my fletching. They arent properly placed around the shaft?

I cant afford field points so i guess nutters are best for now....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 01:59:37 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 01:55:13 pm »
Dictionary, the arrows look great. I was only recommending that if you spaced the 3 fletch at 120 degrees around the shaft that you might see better arrow flight. You stated that you missed a lot and were breaking and losing arrows. A more consistent  fletching pattern may give you better arrow flight? Please understand that this is only my opinion and not written in stone.
You asked for advice and I as only offering what I thought might help stabilize arrow flight.
Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 01:59:09 pm »
Oh Fred, I didn't take offense and I didn't mean to offend you if I did. I'm ALWAYS open to constructive criticism and I will remember what you said when i use this conventional 3 fletch again. Also i will need to trim these better.

These next arrows though will have the eastern two fletch. I just need to look over the past threads a few times more to make sure I know what I'm doing.

Also i contribute the misses to poor shooting more than the arrows right now. I have not been shooting bows very long.

-JW_Halverson

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 04:01:43 pm »

Also i contribute the misses to poor shooting more than the arrows right now. I have not been shooting bows very long.

I could say the same thing.  In fact, even with ten years of making bows, I bet there are people in here with only one bow under their belt and they have shot more than I have!  I am totally serious when I say I don't take much joy in shooting bows.  May explain why I suck at it!  But I can't stop makin' and breakin' 'em!

And I get the sense that you are enjoying yourself with this hobby, too, Dictionary!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 04:23:30 pm »
Haha J_W shooting hurts my fingers so i dont shoot too often. Maybe i will when my fingers harden up haha. Enjoying learning more and more about this. One day I will hunt for the first time with a weapon I've made. That's down the road a good ways i feel though.

I just finished up a quick Eastern Two Fletch video. This is my first time doing it after reading through a few threads here. I don't think its all that great so any advice would be great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQOuHlm1jW8

sorry I didnt dont ever trim my feathers before i show my arrows.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:36:28 pm by Dictionary »

-JW_Halverson

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 04:58:32 pm »
Haha J_W shooting hurts my fingers so i dont shoot too often. Maybe i will when my fingers harden up haha. Enjoying learning more and more about this. One day I will hunt for the first time with a weapon I've made. That's down the road a good ways i feel though.

I just finished up a quick Eastern Two Fletch video. This is my first time doing it after reading through a few threads here. I don't think its all that great so any advice would be great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQOuHlm1jW8

sorry I didnt dont ever trim my feathers before i show my arrows.

Dictionary do you want a shooting tab? I can cut one out for you and send it to you for free if you would like. It will greatly protect your fingers. Just shoot me a pm if you are interested.

Jon

Offline stickbender

I agree with Fred, you need to space your three fletch an equal distance
from each other.  You could lower the height of our fletch a little, or taper them
from the back down to the front.  Good looking arrows anway.  How do the the two fletch work for you?  They look good to me.

Wayne

Offline randman

Arrows look good Dictionary. Question on your 2 fletch: Are the feathers from the same wing (both right wing or both left wing). The reason I ask is because from the end they look like they curve 2 different directions (I have not made any 2 fletch in that style so I'm not familiar with what they are supposed to look like endwise). Even on the 2 fletch it is important that they are from the same wing. This is how I do my 2 fletch and they fly as good or better than any of the commercial 3 fletch arrows I have. I use turkey secondary feathers whole (I don't trim them but I could). You can see how the curve shape of fletches looks from the end. These are both left wing although it doesn't matter except that both are from the same wing (same as in 3 fletch). There is also a good post (at the top of the arrow section) for a leather fletching jig to help keep the 3 fletch evenly spaced at 120 degrees around the shaft.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 07:22:57 pm »

I could say the same thing.  In fact, even with ten years of making bows, I bet there are people in here with only one bow under their belt and they have shot more than I have!  I am totally serious when I say I don't take much joy in shooting bows.  May explain why I suck at it!  But I can't stop makin' and breakin' 'em!

And I get the sense that you are enjoying yourself with this hobby, too, Dictionary!

J-Dub we should start a partnership. I love shooting but only somewhat enjoy making, you love making but only somewhat enjoy shooting... I think it would work out well.  >:D >:D

Jon

Offline JW_Halverson

Even in building I haev parts I would rather not do...like tillering.  Starting and finishing are my strong points, the in between not so much. 

I don't know why more people don't make two fletches, easy-quick-effective-cool looking!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Dictionary

Randman, these Geese feathers are from Bevan. He sent me these many months ago. I want to express my thanks to him again. He is what really got me started in Arrowmaking. Many thanks to him. Havent seen him on the board lately, I hope he is okay and doing well. He told me these were all from the same wing. I haevnt really been able to understand how to tell which wing is right or left.......yeah i know its sad i sitll dont get it.

Jon, I will PM YOU!  :laugh:

I havent really gotten into SPINE. I dont have a tester. I kind of just shoot them and if they are really shooting poorly, i will set them aside and try them with another bow. That's all i can say about that for now.  ::)

But there seems to be nothing wrong with my eastern two fletch?

I don't like tillering haha. I like looking at a full draw when all is complete and i've reached my draw weight and i can say "Finally done with that".

-JW_Halverson