Author Topic: This arrow making thing is kinda hard.  (Read 4463 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

This arrow making thing is kinda hard.
« on: November 18, 2012, 03:15:08 am »
It seems like if I nail it ont he fletching there is an issue with the shaft or the other way around.

My biggest problem area in getting clean looking arrows is processing feathers and attaching fletching.

If I use a knife to split the fealthers then I've got a ton of clean up on the quill to get the feather to sit clean and flat.

If I boil and peel then I've still got a bunch of hand trimming.  I get wavy looking feathers when thay are tied down.

I can never seem to get a clean smooth even spiral in my wrapping.  It's like the feathers won't allow it.

I have grasped the footed shaft.  Those come out nice.  Pics coming.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: This arrow making thing is kinda hard.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 05:50:11 am »
Get yourself a fletching jig.  If you split the quill with a knife, you can then put the feather in the jig's clamp, and just smooth it out with a belt sander or some sand paper, and get a perfect gluing surface every time.  Well worth the investment in my opinion.  Just be sure to do it in a well ventilated area, the dust is not good for you at all.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 10:24:01 am »
GREAT!

The first ones I did I used my "dust maker 9000) sanding drum to clean up the quills.  Just whistling along taking a face full of dust.

So am I gonna die from turkey mites?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 10:36:28 am »
Oh.

I use a straight fletch jig I made off this design.  Well it is this design but I used a plastic ruler that I split in 1/2 and glued to a pair of office clamps and some "hard board" left from finishing out my attic.  that stuff has mame me a ton of little jigs for the bandaw and my spine tester.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 11:30:51 am »
I always wear a mask when sanding down feather quills.  Don't get discouraged about tieing down fletching, practice makes perfect.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 09:10:52 pm »
The sanding drum is probably part of your issue.  If you clamp the feather and then sand them on a flat surface (like I said, a belt sander or even a piece of sandpaper taped to a flat surface), you can't help but have a nice flat surface to glue up.

I can't remember the name, but there was someone on the forum a year or two ago that did a lot of feather grinding over the years, and he ended up getting some pretty serious health issues.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 10:37:14 pm »
I tacked a strip of sanding belt to my bench top.  Then I put a split feather in a straight clamp and hold it tightly as I run it over the coarse sandpaper.  It flattens the base nicely in just a few passes.  I find the hand method to be a lot safer than the power sander, which I also have.  It also doesn't launch the dust into the air that's so nasty.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 12:35:29 am »
I think I'll try that method again.  Thanks guys. 

Wait till you see these footed arrows I just made.  Fletching issues asside.  SWEET!

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 11:18:46 am »
This is why folks don't get filthy rich making custom arrows.

Offline jimmy

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 12:35:08 pm »
I was really intimidated when I started making arrows.  Now I won't have it any other way.  My advice is this:  get barred turkey feathers because you can just strip them off the quill.  Fletch tape is a life-saver too.  My wood arrows are square stock cut on a table saw, then planed round (the corners), then sanded to diameter.  They are always straight.  Cane is a little more work to straighten, but the diameter is as is.  Barred turkey feathers and fletch tape - just my advice.  I've used glues and ground feathers and all of that, but the way I do it now is sooo much easier and very fast.  Just keep at it and it will eventually click.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 01:49:09 pm »
You do not want to breath the grinding dust.  And you can trust me on this one.  It will cause some very very bad things to happen.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 03:34:11 pm »

Offline Huntinfool

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 07:16:08 pm »
Very sweet set up!

I like it all great job!

~HF~

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 04:42:02 pm »
  I ALSO USE A CLAMP BUT ONE WITH A CURVE THAT I'M GOING TO USE. I HAND SAND. LEAVEING THE FRONT AND REAR SIDES THICKER. THEY SET A LOT BETTER THIS WAY. WITH THICKER SIDE WITH THE CURVE. ALOT BETTER THAN SANDING THEM  EQULELY ALL THE WAY DOWN THE QUILL.  WITH THE THICKER FRONT AND BACK (SIDES) (TIPS) YOU GET A MUCH BETTER SET THAN IF YOU SAND THE WHOLE QUILL EQULLY.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING