Author Topic: tried out a new rifle today (new to me)  (Read 968 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

tried out a new rifle today (new to me)
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:37:00 pm »
Well finally got my chance at a Buck with my mosin nagant 91/30. Took the shot and missed him apparently mosins are known to shoot high so I guess ill try again tomorrow I'm just wondering if he'll be back around tomorrow since he comes to that spot everyday or if I scared him off
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline seabass

Re: tried out a new rifle today (new to me)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 09:20:14 pm »
the 7.62x54 is one heck of a round.try and find some soft points if you haven't allready.they work much better than the solids.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline thomas h

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:40:02 pm »
did you shoot the rifle before you took  it hunting?

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:58:56 pm »
Definately soft points, I reload 200 grain Sierra matchkings in mine.  Shoots great.  Do watch the foreign surplus though, they sell a lot of armor piercing rounds.  Not really the best for deer hunting, but will go thru a motor block.  I had one that shot high and I replaced the short front sight pin with a longer one.  Mounted scopes on the others.

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 10:06:03 pm »
gotta love those war rifles.i just got a yugo mauser with 400 rounds in a trade.all matching numbers in pristine condition.also have a 03 springfield and an enfield jungle carbine rechambered for 308.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:45:04 pm »
Funny, I just did some trading for a Kimber 45 this weekend and got the guy to toss in a Mosin-Nagant carbine with a bayonet,(ultimate hog gun) ::). That is one heck of a round.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 12:47:10 am »
Yea I love the mosins nagant its definitely fun to shoot a friend of mine has one as well and he took down a bear with it this year. Well hopefully that Buck comes back in the morning.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline agd68

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 09:20:46 am »
Mcguinnis6010- check Cabelas.ca. I believe I saw 7.62x54 soft points for sale there.
Mullet- had one of those M44 carbines. They are a hoot and just wait til you fire it in low light. A flame about 3' long comes out the end.

Note on surplus ammo for Nagants - that old East Bloc and Chinese stuff is very dirty and quite corrosive so clean the gun  well after use.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh