Author Topic: tiller check buckthorn bow  (Read 6962 times)

Offline Badly Bent

tiller check buckthorn bow
« on: November 22, 2012, 12:33:32 pm »
Happy Thanksgiving to all, and for those of us who can't take a break even on a holiday......... lend me your eyes.
Knotty buckthorn in progress: what do you suggest I do next to take to full draw?

Current specs; Low braced to 4/12"
                       Current mass wt. 14.25oz.
                        Set so far apprx. 3/4" to 1"
                       ntn 58 1/2"
                       Drawn to 19" and approx 40#
                       Target wt. mid 50's @ 26"
Thinking I should get it bending a little more in handle and fade area but I could be wrong, have been before :).
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: tiller check buckthorn bow
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 01:02:31 pm »
Hard to find anything to critique.  I thought at first glance it might be hinged slightly at the big knot, mid bottom limb.  I blew it up some and it looks perfect.  Great job on such a knotty piece of work.

Yep, die hards!  I'm gonna post a little plains bow here shortly once the handle dries.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 01:45:23 pm »
Hey Slim, thanks for your input. Don't want to pull it further till I'm sure everything is ok at this point. Also concerned about more set as I stress it more extending the draw length, plus the knots are a bit intimidating. Much more knotty than anything I've ever worked on and I don't want her to snap. Also limbs are starting to get kind of thin and with the knots I'm not sure if side tillering is possible.??
Been heat treated once after pulled to this length then belly scraped to bring her back to this weight at 19" draw.
Greg

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 02:25:44 pm »
 :o

drool..

Looks like it's done, no?
Don't shoot!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 02:29:31 pm »
I can't find anything wrong with that tiller. It's time to bite the bullet and pull her back a little further. If it blows it blows but you can't blame yourself for a bad tiller.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 02:30:22 pm »
Jodocus, not done yet, still need 7" more on draw. Waiting for more input before I do something foolish like crank her back and ruin it. :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 02:30:35 pm »
Carry on doing whatever you did to get this far...
Looking good
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline rps3

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 03:06:11 pm »
From another guy who cant take a break on the holiday, I am at work, your bow looks stiff to me on the bottom limb just below the big knot under your pinky finger for 6 inches or so.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 03:35:18 pm »
Weylin; had it strung the last few hours sweating and occasionally pulling to that 19" length, probably more like 45 t0 50# at that length. Thinking I'll round the edges a bit more and smooth a bit more with sandpaper then pull a couple more inches.
Del; Thanks for your encouragment. :)
rps3: thanks for the input, that area between the lower fade knot and the 1st midlimb knot on the bottom limb has a canoe like reflex that is giving me trouble on the read. Already thinned that area of the limb quite a bit and not sure what to do next in that area, don't want to get to thin there. Good eye my friend, thats what I'm looking for.
Greg

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 03:54:02 pm »
Greg,  The tiller looks good to me, but as you said you could probably afford to take some wood off of the handle area if you are afraid of it blowing up on you.   Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 04:06:34 pm »
Yes. In the first pic the tiller looks great but from the other side the handle area does look a little stiff.
But overall it does look really good , just scrap full leanth and get draw length and weight
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 04:12:02 pm »
I would say that the shape is good so far, maybe a little stiff in the handle area but that isn't a bad thing at this stage. If you are going for a 26 inch draw then I would keep it a little stiff in the handle (leave it alone) until at 23. Once at 23 start rounding and scraping a little until until you notice a faction of a drop in weight (digital scales help) or you feel that hint of movement. A bendy handle bow should be felt and not seen!!
So to get to 23....I would definately start working into the knots a little so the belly profiles the back more closely. I can see a few spots that are starting to look a little thin either side of the knots. Look at the side profile and you will see that where the knots are the limbs are quite a bit thicker....i'm not saying 'just scoop them out' but you belly should end up with lots of smooth dips. I think that your set is coming from the thin bits having to do all the bending work.
Hope that makes sense ;)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 04:16:43 pm »
Greg, She looks like a beauty. You have done great on your tiller with all those knots. I agree that you are just slightly stiff in the handle right above your hand to the first knot Depending on what you want for final weight you could maybe gain a little safety in draw length by getting that handle are to flex slightly. Outside of that it looks great.
 I have two ye bows that are very similar, that I am just finishing.  You are doing great!

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 04:43:00 pm »
I agree with mike n keenans assessment ...sorry I didn't come in earlier,but I been tillering/shooting in a new one too today!!! :)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 06:09:27 pm »
I agree with Mike and I wouldn't worry about the stiffness around the handle so much, since that is the last place you would want your bow to show any set.  I admire the slow and deliberate way that you tiller a bow.  Maybe I will slow down and take a page out of your book.  Great looking bow Greg.  Keep doing what you are doing.  Happy Thanksgiving and your fellow OCD bow builders salute you.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi