Author Topic: Cabin fever 9 degree hunt  (Read 6517 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Cabin fever 9 degree hunt
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 09:30:13 am »
   I really don't know how cold it's been here all week. But with the snow and wind everyday. It's probely been in the single numbers ,low teens with the wind chill. I've hunted every evening since the 21. Our season ends the first. Not to soon for me. I get a little burned out late season when the wind blows.
    I missed the best part of NOV. because of a fall but still hunted 32 days. Saw 26 bucks killed a 2 1/2 year old 8 point. I'd wish I'd let pass now but sometimes it's now or never. At the time I thought he was bigger and older than he was. I let 14 small bucks pass.
   I know where your comeing from truthfully I was feeling perty along. No one I know of is bow hunting in WV. At least not around here.
  It's amazzing the older you get the better the fire place feels when the wind blows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Stringman

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 03:40:59 pm »
A late season firearms season started this weekend and a buddy asked me to buy a tag and hunt with him. I haven't hunted a drop since shooting that little buck a month ago, so I felt like gettin out. I strapped on my little side shooter and walked out an set down next to a corn field. Had t been sittin there but a few min when this dude stepped out across the field. It is a doe only season and he was a couple hundred yards away (pics with my binos and phone lined up... Not easy!)

Then righ at dark 3 does started walking toward me along the edge of the corn... 1 round sailed harmlessly over her back... That was a fun, cold, hunt!

Scott

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 03:41:51 pm »
You are a tough man, John!  I can't just sit there in the cold like that any more.  I've got to have lots of those chemical packets that make heat.  I put one in the tip of each boot and mitten.  If that's not enough I smash a few more and put them around my neck under my scarf... :o
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 06:20:13 pm »
Well scott i have a short scrub osage tree/bush behind me and this tree that will work as a blind in the late part of the day. This was the best with the wind issue.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 06:39:36 pm »
One more then i have to hunt

Offline iowabow

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 09:52:09 pm »
No deer tonight proving the deer play book is written in gibberish.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 09:52:58 pm »
Nice buck Scott

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 09:14:34 am »
  Be a little hard to get a arrow to far there.
  Here the deer are tearing the honeysuckle patchs and the cut corn up. We've shot 11 doe's in our split doe seasons. Off this farm all most all were going across 2 different fields to the cut corn. 3others of my other lease. I have 1 more marked for death here. Todays our last day of doe' season. Last day period. I'm all doe'd out but have a friend coming out this evening.
  I REALLY DON'T RIFLE HUNT BUT SHOOTING DOE'S OFF A HILL TO OUT OF THE TRUCK NOT HUNTING.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline iowabow

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 08:57:13 pm »
Wow big bucks run backward patterns . Got to shoot a monster tonight but missed just not use to that 46 pound bow after hunting with 60 # bow all winter. I really wanted to take a deer with the milkweed string but its looking like a no go. Here is an arrow in the dirt and snow as a bonus.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:15:02 pm by iowabow »