Author Topic: Cabin fever 9 degree hunt  (Read 6525 times)

Offline iowabow

Cabin fever 9 degree hunt
« on: December 26, 2012, 06:55:24 pm »
1.5 hour 9 degree wind chill hunt on south side of land just in case someone might need to know. Lol anyway here is a photo.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline sonny

Re: Cabin fever 9 degree hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 07:04:52 pm »
why only an hour and a half ???  ;D

btw I'm in Va and cold to us is 20s so with a 9 degree wind chill I'm not sure I would have lasted that
long..
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 08:34:52 pm »
I have real good cold weather gear. I however did not take the deep cold gear. I have these boot gloves that will keep your feet warm no matter how cold it gets in Iowa. I have a pair of coverall bibs that will go over the gear I wore today but the issue now is cold air in the lungs when when walking hard. When  in real cold weather I dont get in a hurry.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 12:42:08 pm »
You go boy.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 12:47:38 pm »
should warm up to 25 in the morning.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 01:03:29 pm »
9 degrees? sounds like a heatwave to me it's been between -20 and 0 for the last week here and the weather channel said it's not going to get any warmer than 15 in the next 2 weeks
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 01:19:13 pm »
where are you located and do you hunt in that?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 01:28:18 pm »
Hey John, do you notice your shooting change when you have your cold weather gear on?  I wore mine the other day down here in Texas and when a young buck came in I missed about 8" left of where I was looking.  Would've neck shot the little bugger if it hadn't jumped the string.  Had to shake my head as it's the first shot I've taken bundled up in 5 years at least.  Good grief.  I've got some of the good boots but will likely never wear them down here now.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 01:45:20 pm »
Hey John, do you notice your shooting change when you have your cold weather gear on?  I wore mine the other day down here in Texas and when a young buck came in I missed about 8" left of where I was looking.  Would've neck shot the little bugger if it hadn't jumped the string.  Had to shake my head as it's the first shot I've taken bundled up in 5 years at least.  Good grief.  I've got some of the good boots but will likely never wear them down here now.

George
hard to said George...I seem to always miss lol. I have a real good coat that is thin and I wear an arm guard to hold the clothes back away from the string. I use a good hat and neck warmer, an extra set of thick layered pants to compensate for a lighter coat. I will photograph the set when I get home.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 02:30:36 pm »
hard to said George...I seem to always miss lol. I have a real good coat that is thin and I wear an arm guard to hold the clothes back away from the string. I use a good hat and neck warmer, an extra set of thick layered pants to compensate for a lighter coat. I will photograph the set when I get home.

There's no need for the arm guard on my heaviest gear.  It's stiff enough that it acts like an arm guard, but it is very bulky in the chest.  For some reason I've always shot left with that gear on.  I'm going out again tomorrow but the temps will be above freezing and I won't have the heavy coat on in the pop-up blind.  Hope to take my granddaughter with, but she's not real cold weather hardy, living in the Philippines most of the time.  Sure hope that little buck comes in.  Last time out I also broke a stone point after it deflected off a vine so I need to haft a replacement on.  2 my shot attempts this season have deflected.  Interestingly, the one that sunk into a downed tree was undamaged; while the one that deflected off a vine and stuck in the dirt snapped the tip off.  I chipped out a replacement the other day so it shouldn't take long.

Good luck bud,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 06:46:41 pm »
where are you located and do you hunt in that?

north-central montana about 45 miles from canada, it's been five below here all day i went bunny huntin this mornin with my new ironwood longbow that i made. i shot 2 and had a good time, as for warm gear i wear carhart coveralls, 2 heavyweight carhart hoodies, irish setter boots with 1000 grams of thinsulate, wool long underwear, heavy wool socks and a wool stocking cap, for gloves i wear marmont gloves i think they have about 600 grams of thinsulate i take the glove off my hand that pulls the string when i shoot because thier too thick to shoot with. theres also about a foot of snow oon the ground and more coming.

Duck
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 08:21:51 am »
You fellows have to have grit to get out and hunt in that.  Last season, a guy in our club hunted all year in shorts with those rubber crocs on his feet!  He is a bit odd though.....  Our low last night was around 28.  At least the skeeters have quit biting.   :D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline iowabow

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 08:28:41 am »
3 degrees this morning so I am sitting this one out! Last night I saw seven deer. They were 40 yards away on a ridge so I am going out this afternoon and setting up on that trail. It will warm up to 8 I hope.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:32:42 am by iowabow »

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 09:02:38 am »
Good luck and I sure admire your dedication.  I worked last night and saw bucks chasing does most of the shift.  The moon is pretty full and I have noticed that after a night like this  that they may not move too much during the day - maybe a little around the middle of the day.  The rut is just beginning here.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline iowabow

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 09:27:44 am »
Just checked the weather and it looks like a heat wave 22 wow! I will take that and a south wind to boot. It looks perfect if they just pattern like last night.