Author Topic: For you knappers...  (Read 5194 times)

Offline Kegan

For you knappers...
« on: October 05, 2007, 05:12:49 pm »
Okay, my knapping-knowleedge is pretty low, at least about the construction of points (I got the basics, just never put 'em to use). So, for those of you who do knap points, I have a question:

Is it easier to knap a point from a thin flake you struck yourself from a core than it is to use spalls you found or someone else made?

Seems like this might be one of those trick question to me, and I don't have any good rocks to test it myself. Can anyone shed some light on it for me ????

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: For you knappers...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 06:11:02 pm »
   I would rather knap a flake I spalled myself.When we got together at Chris' farm a few weeks ago,I knapped some thin points from some thin flakes.They would take game for sure.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 06:49:25 pm »
       Like Mullet said.....bob

jamie

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 05:48:11 pm »
what eddie and bob said ;D

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 01:45:19 pm »
Thanks guys! I thought that if you made the flake yourself, you could start out with it thinner, but then someone told me starting with spalls is alot easier. But I'm not entirely sure they know percussion knapping ayway :).

Ooooh, gotta get me some rocks ;D!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 02:09:08 pm »
If you're talking about percussion knapping, then a thicker spall is easier to work and get good long thinning flakes from. Percussion doesn't work too well on thin stuff. If you want to pressure flake arrowheads, then as everybody said, thin flakes are better to start with, but you'll have to shear the thin edges back enough to get a good platform to flake from. The goal of percussion knapping is usually to thin and shape the piece down to the point where you can pressure flake it. Also depends on how big of points you want to make.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 02:17:39 pm »
If you're talking about percussion knapping, then a thicker spall is easier to work and get good long thinning flakes from. Percussion doesn't work too well on thin stuff. If you want to pressure flake arrowheads, then as everybody said, thin flakes are better to start with, but you'll have to shear the thin edges back enough to get a good platform to flake from. The goal of percussion knapping is usually to thin and shape the piece down to the point where you can pressure flake it. Also depends on how big of points you want to make.

I meant I don't think he knows how to get a flake off of a core in the first place (and therefore has never used a flake he spalled himself). He used indirect percusion every one in a while with the help of his wife, but only taking off very small flakes when he does. Most of the time he just grinds thicker spalls from 3Rivers down until he can pressure flake them.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 02:25:43 pm »
Yeah, I wouldn't buy spalls, definitely get whole rocks and spall 'em yourself. That way, you can knock off big spalls for bigger points, or smaller thinner ones for arrowheads.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 02:48:44 pm »
Yeah, I wouldn't buy spalls, definitely get whole rocks and spall 'em yourself. That way, you can knock off big spalls for bigger points, or smaller thinner ones for arrowheads.

Uh huh. Can't really make a hand ax out of a few little spalls either ;D