Author Topic: Why I think osage is an inferior bow wood...  (Read 121171 times)

Offline RyanY

Re: Why I think osage is an inferior bow wood...
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2012, 10:41:00 pm »
  the only way you can make me believe you is if I see that 50" poplar 40/60 ratio Molly drawing at least 50@25".

What do I win?

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2012, 10:43:33 pm »
Hahahahahaha.... Holy cow... That just made my day. Give him 3 hours and he makes an UN-buildable bow.. Wow...

Jon

blackhawk

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2012, 10:45:20 pm »
I mean one can build an osage bow improperly and it'll still not explode. Some other bow woods aren't as forgiving. Yes it can take more but say you make an osage bow that bends way too much right out from the fades. Yes it'll probably survive where other woods wont but the tiller is still off and with that much moving mass it'll be a dog. I hope no one took that comment personally. It wasn't a jab at anyone's workmanship.

See...now your coming around. And that is exactly why and one of the many reasons why osage is not inferior and the vast majority of bowyers agree that osage is the best.

And I ain't taking nothing personal...just enjoying a semi healthy debate that's been raging for many years..and it'll continue on long after were gone..we ain't solving anything but feeding our love to debate fir the fun of it ;)... most folks that have responded in this thread enjoy debating for the sake of debating ..I am one of those ..lol

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2012, 10:49:55 pm »
I am not arguing for poorly designed bows with heavy tips, or successively adding miniature dumbbells to the very tips of bows as we mechanically release arrow after arrow through a chronograph.  Ryoon, you brought to our attention that no matter how efficient we design our osage bows, the outer limb will have more mass than that of a lighter wood.  In my experience, Osage likes a heavy arrow.  I think the two are related. I guess I will have to do my own controlled studies to provide support for this hypothesis....Lets take another look in that horses mouth! By the way, my tests will not be limited to arrow speed at launch, as I feel that is a misleading measure of performance.  How about energy imparted to a target at various distances?

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline RyanY

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2012, 10:53:20 pm »
CMB, Then what are you arguing?  Also, to say that osage likes heavy arrows means nothing unless you put it in measurable terms. If you do experiment on it please share the results so we can all learn from it. With heavy tipped bows, energy upon impacting the target will be less because the arrow will be moving slower.

blackhawk

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2012, 10:54:21 pm »
LMAO..I knew you'd take the bait and try...now go ahead and try to spine some arrows to that and shoot thousands of arrows out of it,then go shoot a deer with it...that in my opinion is a bow...you missed my point that its going to be an impractical bow...have fun trying to shoot it...so..hows it shoot?

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2012, 10:55:39 pm »
ryoon, i wonder how that thing preforms
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline PatM

« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2012, 10:57:33 pm »
I'm not sure you're going to find that an arrow delivers any more energy as a result of anything but its initial velocity.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2012, 10:58:22 pm »
When I saw the title of this thread I thought for sure I would open it up and see nukes going off.   :o   I'm pleased to see a good discussion going.   I've never built a bow from osage so I won't pretend to comment on the merits of the wood compared to other woods...Maybe one day I will. 

I couldn't resist throwing this out though.

Q.  What makes a good bow?
A.   A good The bowyer.    ;D

I understand the question / statement is assuming the bowyer knows what he's doing to begin with.
And I know that's not what this thread is about.  I just wanted to say it. 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2012, 11:02:52 pm »
blackhawk, Excuses excuses. I win fair and square. Of course the bow is hugely impractical but it serves its purpose. Any well made, properly designed bow will do what is asked of it. Now assuming osage is twice as dense as poplar, an osage bow would be half the width at 1.75" wide. Still practical in osage? I think not.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2012, 11:04:12 pm »
I mean one can build an osage bow improperly and it'll still not explode. Some other bow woods aren't as forgiving. Yes it can take more but say you make an osage bow that bends way too much right out from the fades. Yes it'll probably survive where other woods wont but the tiller is still off and with that much moving mass it'll be a dog. I hope no one took that comment personally. It wasn't a jab at anyone's workmanship.

A dog of a bow is better than a broken bow.  Maybe not by much, but still better.

Can you please show us how to hold and shoot a bow that is 4" wide.  If that were made from osage it would fit nicely in your hand.  :)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2012, 11:05:45 pm »

CMB, Then what are you arguing?  Also, to say that osage likes heavy arrows means nothing unless you put it in measurable terms. If you do experiment on it please share the results so we can all learn from it. With heavy tipped bows, energy upon impacting the target will be less because the arrow will be moving slower.

Ryan, my hypothesis is that when comparing an osage bow with a lighter wood bow of same draw weight, the optimal mass arrow for the osage bow will be heavier than that for the lighter wood bow. 

That is an impressive poplar bow, but where is your arrow going to pass?  Again, Ryan, you are leaving the arrow out of the equation.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2012, 11:06:21 pm »
I am not arguing for poorly designed bows with heavy tips, or successively adding miniature dumbbells to the very tips of bows as we mechanically release arrow after arrow through a chronograph.  ....Lets take another look in that horses mouth! ....
[/quote

Glad to see ONE of you firebrands read that post.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2012, 11:06:36 pm »
if he cuts a hole in the center he should be able to get it close to center shot, also, he could attach some raised handle to the bow allowing him to hold it and effectively shoot it. This could be a practical bow, weather people would really want it or not is a different question.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

blackhawk

« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2012, 11:08:33 pm »
Like patm said making that doesn't prove anything ..you don't win,I don't win..we both win because we both have different opinions on what a great bow is. So answer my question..hows it shoot after a few hundred arras? Lmao :laugh: