Author Topic: Why I think osage is an inferior bow wood...  (Read 121169 times)

Offline RyanY

Re: Why I think osage is an inferior bow wood...
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2012, 11:09:24 pm »
CMB, so does that mean each species of wood has a particular arrow weight that it shoots best at?  ???

Again, that bow is of course a better paddle than a bow, but it serves its purpose. Design is everything.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2012, 11:13:58 pm »
blackhawk, and I quote "the only way you can make me believe you is if I see that 50" poplar 40/60 ratio Molly drawing at least 50@25". Not all woods are created equally even if made wider to be able to take the strain in my opinion. The hackberry was 3" wide full width of working limbs,and the hhb n hick were 2 1/2" wide full width. And all were VERY thin,but don't remember exact thickness."

I don't see anything in there about handles and the bows you made and broke were 60", not 50". So how come you bows broke and mine didn't?  ;D

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2012, 11:16:44 pm »

I don't see anything in there about handles and the bows you made and broke were 60", not 50". So how come you bows broke and mine didn't?  ;D
:o
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2012, 11:18:51 pm »
I'm not sure you're going to find that an arrow delivers any more energy as a result of anything but its initial velocity.

Pat, this is from the traditional Bowhunter's Bible (Conrads 2003).  It says different.  The lighter arrow loses twice as much energy as the heavy arrow when comparing launch and 40 yards distance.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

blackhawk

« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2012, 11:27:06 pm »
I can't believe your still missing the point. Of course I know you can make pines,willows,poplars,and woods rated as non bow woods bend if made wide enough...but just being able to make it bend doesn't mean its a bow and is great bow wood IMO. And there was obviously more to what I was experimenting with on the ones I broke.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2012, 11:29:36 pm »
That's not the point you were arguing. You said that no matter how you design some woods they will break and this proves that idea wrong. The experimenting wasn't obvious in your description. Also you blamed the wood species not the experimenting also saying they were the proper width and excellent tiller.

blackhawk

« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2012, 11:39:43 pm »
Ill answer your question as soon as you answer mine that I have now asked three times...maybe I need to type it in BOLD...SO HOWS IT SHOOT AFTER A FEW HUNDRED ARRAS? .and the contradictions you stated that I quoted...lol :laugh:

Offline PatM

« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2012, 11:40:53 pm »
I'm not sure you're going to find that an arrow delivers any more energy as a result of anything but its initial velocity.

Pat, this is from the traditional Bowhunter's Bible (Conrads 2003).  It says different.  The lighter arrow loses twice as much energy as the heavy arrow when comparing launch and 40 yards distance.
This has nothing to do with your point.  You are talking about Osage "liking" a heavy arrow because it is heavy in weight but any bow that shoots a heavy arrow is also going to be heavy in weight.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2012, 11:41:24 pm »
I'll take my prize now.  8)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2012, 11:42:42 pm »
I'll take my prize now.  8)
your prize is.................OSAGE ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2012, 11:50:05 pm »
I do agree that it would be cool to see it shoot and to see it work efficiently. I think you can make it shoot over 100 arrows, you just need to add a comfortable handle and a centershot hole
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2012, 11:59:46 pm »
I agree Scott.Wow this thread grew fast. 7 pages of Osage defenders in court going at it with THE OTHER GUYS.  ;D
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2012, 12:06:28 am »
By the way, do you always have a stick of straight grained poplar sitting around in case you're challenged to make a crazy bow? Props to you for actually doing it.  Any frets yet?
Dictionary, have you even made an osage bow >:D

No and probably never will  ;D.

I'll take my local white woods any day of the year than to pay for osage, season it for years, work it down to one ring around a bunch of knots, then work that tough stuff with my semi-sharp hatchet  ::)

"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline RyanY

« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2012, 12:09:41 am »
fishfinder, your comment made me laugh out loud.  :laugh:

ionicmuffin, I wouldn't dare shoot an arrow from it since I'm not exactly sure where it would go! But imagine I cut it in half and added a realistic handle. The bow would be less stressed and shootable. It would just change weather patterns when shot.  ;D

Scott D, I literally went out and got the piece right after dinner. I believe in the design principles I speak of. No frets at all. It's completely flat on the belly as I tillered it with my belt sander. Also I trapped in towards the belly to take some strain off the back. Even so it's only taken an inch of set.

Dictionary, you should definitely make an osage bow. It's great wood.

blackhawk

« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2012, 12:11:15 am »
Lol fishy...that's pretty funny :laugh:

You can't make that same design with pine..lmao :laugh:  get one of my points now?  :laugh: