Author Topic: Why I think osage is an inferior bow wood...  (Read 121897 times)

Offline RyanY

Re: Why I think osage is an inferior bow wood...
« Reply #345 on: November 30, 2012, 01:47:43 pm »
iowabow, I feel the same way. When I initially posted I thought people wouldn't take it seriously. I hope people are able to learn something on both sides.

Pearl Drums, You make some excellent points. Not all warbows have to follow Mary Rose dimensions. They just need to throw spears!  :o

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #346 on: November 30, 2012, 01:58:58 pm »
Those are honest to goodness questions from a warbow ignorant guy! Ive never studied or built one, probably wont as Im a hunter 100%.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #347 on: November 30, 2012, 02:00:27 pm »
Where's Steve...he's built several and I know for a fact his favorite length for an osage elb is around 68" and no longer...and for good reason

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #348 on: November 30, 2012, 02:04:24 pm »
Steve would have ended this 3 days ago with hard numbers, he is amazing in that way. He has probably forgotten more than any of us will know.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #349 on: November 30, 2012, 02:07:03 pm »
I was thinking the same thing. His profile says he's been on since this thread has started. Hopefully he's well.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #350 on: November 30, 2012, 02:11:50 pm »
He is probably like the parent that is tired of repeating himself to kids that wont listen!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #351 on: November 30, 2012, 02:14:21 pm »
Hahaha! I was thinking that too!  :laugh:

blackhawk

« Reply #352 on: November 30, 2012, 02:19:44 pm »
He's prob kicking back with a smoke in one hand and a beer in the other laughing at all our dumb @##'$ :laugh:

You know what Ryan...seriously speaking..you and I really do believe in pretty much the same principles(just different preferences of wood)...but it is good fir us to challenge and question what we have been taught and even what we believe in...because discussion's like this advance our hobby and all the lurkers out there reading learn tons from our passionate stubborn rears  :laugh::laugh:...and you dk realize now that I like to challenge folks,and pot stir fir the reasons I mentioned

Offline adb

« Reply #353 on: November 30, 2012, 02:21:59 pm »
I've made many osage war bows (all laminates, mind you) up to 78" ntn, with no issues of excessive hand shock, stacking, or poor cast. I've tillered them elliptically and round. They're all narrow no more than 1 1/4" at the grip tapering to 3/8" nocks. I try to keep the tips very small and light to improve cast. In fact, an osage bellied multi lam war bow is my favourite type.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #354 on: November 30, 2012, 02:23:35 pm »
alb, have you ever done one with more than 3 lams? i wonder how one would turn out.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #355 on: November 30, 2012, 02:23:47 pm »
Isn't yew supposed to like to blow up in both frigid and dry conditions........

Ha ha! Don't tell that to any of the yew hunting bows out there. They don't know any better.

Ryoon - Tell that sister of yours to get her bow done! She needs it to fend off the unacceptable suitors.

Offline adb

« Reply #356 on: November 30, 2012, 02:24:48 pm »
alb, have you ever done one with more than 3 lams? i wonder how one would turn out.

No.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #357 on: November 30, 2012, 02:25:59 pm »
<snip>You know what Ryan...seriously speaking..you and I really do believe in pretty much the same principles(just different preferences of wood)...but it is good fir us to challenge and question what we have been taught and even what we believe in...because discussion's like this advance our hobby and <snip>

I knew IT!!!   You two conspired to put this whole thing on didn't you?!?!?  Stir up a little controversy and make us think instead of just oogleing and oggling purty pitures of other people's bows!  You guys are insidious!!! ;)   :laugh:

OneBow

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #358 on: November 30, 2012, 02:39:20 pm »
Where's Steve...he's built several and I know for a fact his favorite length for an osage elb is around 68" and no longer...and for good reason

I wonder what that reason is. I'm sure I haven't mentioned it 10 times by now or anything.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #359 on: November 30, 2012, 02:58:09 pm »
Settle down a lil folks... 8)

Toomany...do you remember the exact stats of the osage elb warbows you made. What's the bow length,draw weight,and draw length?

Ya, from 68" to 74", from around 75# to 120# @ 32". I can hardly do a full 31" / 32" myself now, and am sure I wasn't drawing these bows out that far. These were made years ago, and I have no fulldraw pictures. I don't make warbows really anymore, and haven't made one since last year when I popped my rip when tillering one. I would like to get a pulley system set up where that would not be an issue, but until me and old lady move that is not possible. I am probably one of the last people qualified to give advice on warbows at all admittedly, but jesus, at least I have made an osage warbow, where I am guessing no one else arguing with me has. Either way, you guys win, I give up, osage is the best bow wood in the world. And also, all woods perform exactly the same always. And also, osage makes a better warbow that yew.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 03:02:14 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair