Author Topic: Why I think osage is an inferior bow wood...  (Read 121905 times)

Offline steve b.

Re: Why I think osage is an inferior bow wood...
« Reply #435 on: December 10, 2012, 08:08:48 pm »
Pappy, yes I mean that.  First of all, I love your recurve.  I really like the sleek tip overlays.  I was thinking I wish I had a backyard like that.

I'm just referring to what has already been pointed out, that osage is forgiving.  So tiller and knots can be mistreated and the bow will still live.  Chasing the ring and following the snakiness can be challenging but all things equal the osage bow is more likely to survive, and with less set.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #436 on: December 10, 2012, 08:18:47 pm »
I find it funny when people say they don't like to chase rings on osage. When I first learned to chase rings I was using hickory. Now when I have to do it on osage it's like a dream! I'd chase rings on 4 osage staves before one hickory.  ;D

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #437 on: December 10, 2012, 08:22:14 pm »
why bother chasing rings on hickory?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline RyanY

« Reply #438 on: December 10, 2012, 08:26:11 pm »
Belly split staves don't have the pristine back left after debarking. And I'd rather chase a ring than try and flatten out the back which, with my staves, seems to be pretty squirrely.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #439 on: December 10, 2012, 08:26:53 pm »
you should chase a ring on any wood when a back ring is violated, or back it.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #440 on: December 11, 2012, 12:03:56 pm »
 I've got a bow I'm finishing up right now that had so many whoop de doos and twist in it that I guarantee if it was a lesser wood it would not have survived to be a shooter. At least if it were made by me...lol ....and yes osage does compensate for poor tillering skills and still make a good shooter as many of my bows can testify to. I am also fairly certain that osage can handle being overdrawn a couple inches without taking on too much set to make it doggy and without failing completely, cuz I've done it a number of times ( not that I am recommending it as a regular practice of course).
 I have yet to work with or shoot yew and have no doubt that it is a truely wonderful bow wood, however I highly doubt that it can handle the abuse my osage bows can due to it being a softer wood. I will say though that the creamy sapwood and contrast of the heartwood is truely stunning on a yew bow and I admire it tremendously and in fact think it may be the most beautiful when well finished.
  I kind of liken the yew wood as the classy dress shoes verses osage as a rugged pair of hunting boots. Or to put it another way yew wood would be the Lexus or Mercedes luxury car and osage a good Ford 4x4, ( no offense to the Dodge and Chevy owners, not trying to hi jack the thread...hehehhe). I've just gotten a couple hundred thousand miles out of my Ford truck on a number of occasions and I am convinced they are the most durable long term.
  To me the durability of the osage is the thing that makes it my choice.

Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #441 on: December 11, 2012, 12:49:55 pm »
Perhaps Osage is "an inferior bow wood" because it re-enforces the bad / enept practices of LESS THAN EXPERT bowyers?  Perhaps it leads us to over build our bows because it allows us to build a bow that doesn't look like it's over built, (like Ryan's Poplar Molly), but still has room to be overdrawn or otherwise abused. 

I mean, isn't it kinda like that Highschool Algebra teacher that let's you skate by with a less than full effort and doesn't make you work out the full proof?  When you get to the University level upper math courses, you're NOT going to appreciate what that old math teacher in Highschool did "for you" as much.

BTW - Ring chaseing on Hickory is NOT for the normal sighted person.  Like good quill work and beadwork, and flint knapping, it nearly REQUIRES that one be severely near-sighted.  Which is funny, because if your eyesight is bad enough to be able to make a great Hickory bow, great stone arrow points, and a great beaded quiver; then you're probably too blind to hunt with them!

OneBow

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #442 on: December 11, 2012, 01:51:54 pm »
I learned this craft working on Bois d'ark staves.  We cut our own wood for the most part, so that meant selecting the trees, cutting sealing, splitting, storing, ring chasing, so on and so forth.  My first white wood bow was a snap in comparison.  Hit in on the floor to knock the bark off, draw and cut it out, and then tiller.  Much easier for a beginner.  True, Osage is more forgiving of poor tiller than most white woods, but nobody aims for a poorly made bow.  We all shoot for well crafted finely made bows.  So yes, Osage may get a beginner a "barely holding together but still shootable bow" where a white wood would fail.  But only if he first got all the other stuff done correctly. That, is what makes Bois d'ark "The King"!  That same stave in the hands of a great bow maker can be transformed, from the barely serviceable shooter it might have been, into a "Great Bow".  Not because it was easier, it was not, but because the quality of the wood made both extremes possible.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:02:23 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #443 on: December 11, 2012, 04:57:37 pm »
you should chase a ring on any wood when a back ring is violated, or back it.

I don't think this is necessarily true.  A lot of woods tolerate some degree of ring violation. Backing is often not necessary even on bows with ring violations. This is observed in some neolithic yew bows, and has been re-documented recently. Here is yet another reason why design is not everything.

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #444 on: December 11, 2012, 05:41:10 pm »
I don't think its necessarily true either.  I was making a general statement to Dictionary in order to get him thinking in that direction.  I have bows with violated backs and they work.  If a bow breaks it may or may not have been by a thin back.  One may never really know.  It is insurance and a good practice.  Lots of "rules" of bowmaking are broken without incident.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #445 on: December 11, 2012, 05:44:32 pm »
Lots of "rules" of bowmaking are broken without incident.

Guilty as charged. I dont do much of anything "right" when I build bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #446 on: December 11, 2012, 06:05:16 pm »
 :)

Yup,  not trying to spew dogma, just thought I'd mention it.  I'm glad we don't have a rule book in archery.  That would be so boring!

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #447 on: December 11, 2012, 11:27:37 pm »
The last two yew bows that I've made have the sapwood reduced without chasing a ring. the back is violated and they shoot fine. I know Del has done the same on several occasions. I agree that it depends on the wood and the design.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #448 on: December 12, 2012, 12:19:27 am »
The last two yew bows that I've made have the sapwood reduced without chasing a ring. the back is violated and they shoot fine. I know Del has done the same on several occasions. I agree that it depends on the wood and the design.

I have read that on here so many times, that is just insane. I wish I had yew near me. I would move out west, but than I wouldn't have osage anymore,  :'(. Maybe I will just pull an osage outlaw one day, pack me up my 500 osage staves on the top of our plymouth voyager, and move out to oregan to annoy my sister who lives in portland,... and cut her yew trees down in her back yard,  ;D.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #449 on: December 12, 2012, 02:49:27 am »
There ain't much yew in Portland.
Clatskanie, Oregon