Author Topic: Ticks like crazy!  (Read 4112 times)

Offline Ben M

Ticks like crazy!
« on: November 30, 2012, 01:13:55 am »
WHEW! Here I am at the end of November fleshing a hide on the back porch--nice meaty spike--and man am I CRAWLIN' with ticks!! Everything else dried up this year, but evidently the ticks didn't notice...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Ticks like crazy!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 06:08:09 am »
That's why I try and flesh them quick and get um in the freezer. :) :) Sometimes if they are to bad I will put them in the freezer first and the re hidrate in a bucket of water later to flesh and stretch. I hate ticks. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 12:57:08 am »
 I hate ticks. :)
   Pappy
[/quote]

EEEeeeewwwwwww!  :P :o  Me too!   >:(  And fleas, skeeters,  flies, gnats,  no seeums, mites, those little critters you can't say on here, spiders, scorpions,centipedes,roaches, and cooties! ::) :P Oh and Rutabagas!  :P

Wayne
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:59:34 pm by stickbender »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 01:29:08 am »
Rutabagas are good if steamed and mashed with butter and salt and pepper.   ;D  Not even butter will make them other critters worth a hooey!.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 01:33:28 am »
Rutabagas cooked and mashed in with potatoes is some kinda good. Never tried ticks mashed in my taters  :o
Matt
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline Newindian

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 01:52:02 am »
Not many ticks here but there are always a dozen Mosquitos waiting for when you open the door
I like free stuff.

Offline Patches

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 07:29:23 pm »
I shot a deer a few weeks ago and was working the hide up and noticed he was covered in ticks.  I finished scraping the hide and stuck it in the freezer.  i picked several ticks off of me, but then my girlfriend started finding ticks on her and finding them all around the house.  She was not real happy with me for a few days...I thought I had picked all the ticks off of me befroe I went in the house!  :)
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 07:57:58 pm »
      I am sure there are many people on here that like Rutabagas, but I can assure you I am not one of them, no matter what you try to cover it up with.  I assume that it is an acquired taste, like Scotch Whiskey.  I love a good Scotch, or Real Irish Whiskey like Tullamore Dew.  But my Parents, and Grand father used to eat Rutabagas, I would try to sit somewhere else.  They smell like they were cooked in the outhouse, I just never was able to acquire a taste for them.  Like butter milk.  I don't want to be at the same table with it.  Put it in biscuits, pancakes, yes, drink it, Blech! :o :P  It looks like baby burp, and smells like baby burp, and how the heck do you tell when it has gone bad?  As far as I am concerned, it started out bad! :P  Well as for the ticks, you need to get some chickens, guineas, or turkeys. ;)  They will get rid of a lot of bugs, including spiders, roaches, anything that they can catch and swallow.  Oohh, speaking of turkey's, ......  my local wild flock, just came in to eat the left over deer, I mean uh, range cow food, so I have to go throw some cracked corn out for them.  There are only 12 of them now.  But they are all adults now.  So I haven't had any problems with ticks, or grasshoppers.  Or Rutabagas! ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 08:14:10 pm »
I,m from nw penna,an we have very few ticks, but this year they extra heavy,every coyote that i trapped were loaded an the mink also had them bad, my trappin dog even ended up with a few this year.We had an exceptionally open winter last year an I,m afraid this helped our ticks, Maybe this year will freeze some of them off, I hate ticks especially on my  furs.

Offline Robo

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 09:52:42 pm »
Get rid of those ticks! A girlfriend of mine was running her dogs thru the woods, here in Illinois,  and she picked up a tick in her hair. I took her to the hospital for weeks of $15,000 apiece IVs. She about died,. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Around here they'll jump off the shed onto you. She had a miserable year. They kept her in ICU, and quarantined for a long time for her own protection. To visit with her I had to dress like I was in the XFiles. Booties and all.

Offline NimRand

• USAF Retired (Displaced Michigander)
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 05:49:53 am »
Yep ticks. My son shot a buck at the end of rifle season here in SE nebraska by the Kansas Border that was covered up with ticks, including engorged females. Ironic part was I shot a doe out from this buck 2 days, prior and not a tick seen.

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 11:21:55 pm »
I hear that deer ticks can cause Lyme Disease..?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 08:43:44 am »
Yes deer ticks here in the east of the USA. Carry lyme disease. I've been treated for it and many friends to. I use permatone spray on my clothes and I also spray down the seat covers , floors in my truck. It is good for a few weeks and even when wasted. I herd if you put a bucket of bleach water under them when hanging some will drop off into that may help keep the dam things from Crawling around your yard And cooler   

Offline trad bow

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 07:29:47 pm »
Ticks here in the deep south are an everyday of the year nuisance. I take a teaspoon of vinegar every morning to help keep them and mosquitoes at bay. Works with out spraying chemicals all over me and my clothes.

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 08:09:33 pm »
Ticks here in the deep south are an everyday of the year nuisance. I take a teaspoon of vinegar every morning to help keep them and mosquitoes at bay. Works with out spraying chemicals all over me and my clothes.
.  Haven't herd that one before I'll have to try it. Any more info?