Author Topic: Warbow Arrow Shafts  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Ordnancebob

Warbow Arrow Shafts
« on: December 04, 2012, 09:44:28 am »
Good Day

I'm looking at getting into Warbows.
It seems 1/2" shaft for making EWBS standard arrows is hard to come by.
Where would I get 1/2" wood shafts. I'm located in Central Ontario.

Sua Tela Tonanti
Ordnancebob

Offline adb

Re: Warbow Arrow Shafts
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 10:19:42 am »
PM me.

Offline Agincourtwarbow

• CWBS Chairman
    • The Canadian Warbow Society
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 08:18:23 pm »
A fellow Ontarian! Brilliant! 3/8" will suffice for EWBS Standard arrows, and depending on your Warbow's weight it would be fine to shoot consistently until you increase in draw weight past 100lbs. For Liverys or 1/4lbers you will need the 1/2"ers and dowels are the cheapest/easiest option to go by. Most hardware stores have them but if you go to specialty places such as Stockade in Guelph Ont. you can get 'em for 80 cents a piece. I make the trip from Ottawa just for such deals. You can also make them rush grown or from boards with a hand plane. Hope this helps, Cheers.
-Jake Fenwick

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 05:56:32 pm »
"Most hardware stores have them but if you go to specialty places such as Stockade in Guelph Ont. you can get 'em for 80 cents a piece".
   That's where I get my 3/8" birch shafts. Those are hard to find in hardware stores now that stock indeterminate Asian woods. You have to carefully select straight dowells with no grain runout, so that they remain straight.

Erik

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 08:04:25 am »
You can order a dowel maker from Lee Valley Tool, not sure cost of shipping but the total on mine was $27 including shipping. Then you find straight grained wood,  cut square sectioned strips, and make arrow shafts.

Offline Loki

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 10:37:17 am »
I use an electric drill to bobtail 1/2" shafts.
Durham,England