Author Topic: Who on here makes their bottom limb shorter?  (Read 11949 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Who on here makes their bottom limb shorter?
« on: December 04, 2012, 07:04:59 pm »
I have always made my handle directly in the center of the bow, and tiller the bow to have a stiffer bottom limb to balance the bow, so that the bow will shoot straight. But lately I am getting tired tillering the bow with a stiff bottom limb, and than a year later, my bottom limb is weak from being stressed more than the top. I was wondering what all you guys on here, who obviously have much more experience and expertise than me, do regarding handle and arrow pass placement. I've never really understood this in general that well, as well as never really wrapped my head around the fact why the bottom limb is more stressed at all?  :o
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Who on here makes their bottom limb shorter?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:17:48 pm »
I must admit I'm a bit ambivalent about the whole lower limb stiff thing. It's not so critical on ELBs.
With the arrow pass 1" above centre my bows end up with a shorter lower limb. (grip approx 4", so ball of the thumb is supporting the bow about centre)
I tend to just make sure I tiller the bow supported (loosely, not clamped) and drawn as it will be in the hand and just get it looking even, (with maybe the lower limb a tad stiffer if there is any asymmetry).
Pulling it like that on the tiller, it starts off canted over towards the upper limb (because the draw is bound to be above the hand position) and it pulls back straighter as it is drawn.
You can see what I mean in the video in this blog entry, it starts with the bow tilted down on the right (top limb).
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/it-lives.html
I've only had one bow really shift on me (Ash primitive), but I make sure I give my bows plenty of exercise these days.
My last ELB ended up getting turned round, as supporting it dead centre and pulling it 1" above centre looked very different to how it looked with it turned round (effectively a 2" difference in where the string is pulled made a visible difference to the tiller).
Have a look at the pics here on my blog.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/caramel-and-cream.html
I invited comments in that entry, but got none!
Del
(Sorry this post is so long :-[, but it's a good topic)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:22:51 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 07:18:59 pm »
Yep, 2 inches shorter for me.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 07:51:30 pm »
i'm like pinecone, find the center and 2" both ways, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline steve b.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 07:54:11 pm »
I think this is one of those issues where experience doesn't matter.  A guy might make 1000 bows and never care about the small difference in arrow speed or hand shock or whatever in his bows that could be improved if he wanted to experiment with the stresses and geometry.  It seems to me that, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.
Having said that, I make my upper limb longer, proportionally so depending on the length of the bow.

To me, its about how far the limbs tip move relative to each other, from brace to full draw,  and so it makes "sense" to me to pull the string from a point as close as possible to the center point between the tips.

Offline Will H

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 07:55:56 pm »
I've done it both ways alot. I like the way an asymmetrical bow balances in your hand but equal limbs are sometimes a bit easier to tiller... When I make my bottom limb shorter its usually by an inch and a half.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 08:03:00 pm »
I almost always make my bottom limb at least an inch shorter than my top, and tiller the top to bend more. It feels to me like an assymetrical bow is more balanced
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 08:03:42 pm »
I generally make the bottom limb shorter so the bow balances better in the hand when being carried.
Gordon

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 08:05:11 pm »
I always made my bottom shorter but lately im putting my handle on center and im liking it

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 08:50:45 pm »
I swing both ways so I'm bisymetrical  :laugh:

It just depends on the wood and the design of the bow...each has its own advantages,and one is not better than the other IMHO. A few times I've had to lay them out 3" assymetrical so I could get the most length out of a stave because of knot placements..and if I had centered my handle I would've lost almost 6-8" of length...ya just gotta read the wood and the design your making and apply the best method,which could be either way.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 09:04:00 pm »

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 09:05:28 pm »
sorry I think I misquoted you

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 09:11:18 pm »
I do both ways depending on the bow. Most the time shorter on the lower limb but some of the shorter bend through the handle bows I'll go dead center.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 09:13:58 pm »
Paul, that was beautiful what you just did. That probably made me laugh more than anything I've ever read on here,  ;D. Thanks everybody for the input, it is all very much appreciated!

EDIT: One thing I've always wondered, is if the drawing technique has, or should have, any influence or effect on where the arrow pass should be placed, or symmetrical verses asymmetrical?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 09:15:08 pm »
sorry I think I misquoted you
:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:   I see someone took the bait :laugh: