Author Topic: Slingin again, Starling  (Read 1849 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Slingin again, Starling
« on: December 12, 2012, 12:33:11 pm »
I learned a thing or two from these birds after seeing their flock a few times. But, I can't remember how many arrows I have slung at them when I was younger living here. But, their giant flock was out in the grass and a large flock were on the ground and I slung a octagon bolt into the middle and got this guy. I finished him off with a clay ball to the cranium. (thanks Ridgerunner for that great ammo idea.) Probably a near 40 yard shot, but again, I just aimed into the middle of them and hit this one. But, the pictures are no attest to the beauty of these birds. Even as a nuisance
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Adam

Re: Slingin again, Starling
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 12:31:29 am »
If you or anyone you know ties flies, those feathers can make some nice soft hackle patterns.  Many fly shops sell those feathers.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 12:28:46 pm »
You eat it?
1’—>1’

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 04:26:30 am »

Yephir, jes shoot in amongst them, bound to hit something! ;D
Yeah, they are quite a nuisance indeed.  But if you can find a market for the feathers,
you could be onto something.  Feed the meat to the Dog. ;)  Save a few bucks in Dog food.  Better for him also!  Much better than aged,cooked and canned roadkill, and an occasional horse, or old dairy cow, that has been the field till the truck came for it. :P  Did you ever google  "the Slingshot Man"?  He is an old guy in Ga., who used to feed his family when he was a kid during the depression.  Now he makes and sells them.  He IS GOOD!!!!!!!  Instinctive shooter, just doesn't seem to miss WHATEVER he is shooting at!!!

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 03:47:21 pm »
You just need 23 more of them.  I got a recipe for you.  Gonna have to go find it, but it starts "Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie..."

No kidding, a friend of mine made it for me once.  He breasted out a bunch of those starlings and made a pot pie kinda thing outa it with lotsa mushrooms and onions!  It was delish!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 12:47:36 am »
yes, I agree. Would be very good fly tying material. their feathers are stunningly beautiful. i noticed the detail after getting up close. intricate lines and colors. and nope, i didn't eat it. I wanted too but didn't. I cut off the wings and pinned them up open outside ona  deck. i gave the carcass to some stray cats. yes sir, stickbender, i seen that awhile ago. he was damn good at hitting his target lol. I'm not in city country but it's busy roads and a little more built up with small wood lots, and the birds fly around all together, in giant flocks. i think more wilderness, maybe, type starlings would be better eating. Sometimes killing this urban game makes me think twice. I've eaten plenty but think again while swallowing.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 03:17:51 am »

May come a time soon, when those starlings will seem like steak.... ;)

Wayne