Author Topic: info needed on the steps of how to tan a hide  (Read 8584 times)

Offline littlehunters19862011

info needed on the steps of how to tan a hide
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:57:39 pm »
i no there is proble more then one trend. about this .but i have to ask . and hope sum one can  point me in the right path .  can sum one tell me step bye step easy way to do this . i have never try ed it be for  i let my buddy  keep my buck hide from that 8point i killed. . i would really  like to try  this on the nexted one i kill but i don't no wear to start really . i would like to make me a nice back quiver for nexted season  win im able toget back out and bow hunt. the nexted deer i take  i am going to keep the hide myself and give this a shot just want to no what im getting my self in to .. i have plenty of time to work on this as right  now i cant do much.and all i have been doing is hunting . 

Offline aaron

Re: info needed on the steps of how to tan a hide
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 10:25:41 pm »
The short answer is no,there is no easy way to do this. Brain tanning is a complex and multi-step process completed over several days and involving the strictest attention to detail.Even a basic description of how to do it would fill several pages. I reccomend reading up on this forum or paleoplanet. I have tanned a few deer , an elk, otter, nutria, and i mostly use the "wet scrape method" as outlined in Matt Richard's book.
But, ok,ok, i will try to give a one paragraph description.
1. soak for several days in water
2. scrape off hair, and "membrane" (outer layer of the flesh side of the skin)
3. soak a couple days in a lye solution
4. scrape off epidermis- the upper layer of skin
5. soak in neutralising / acidifying solution 1 day
6. rescrape membrane + sew holes.
7. soak in brains, eggs or soap and oil
8. wring.
9. now the hard work starts- continually stretch and manipulate until dry- 4 to 8 hours..
10. sew into a bag shape
11 suspend over a fire of very rotten wood, forcing smoke inside the bag
12 turn bag inside out and smoke again
13 do the last 6 steps over again because it didn't come out as soft as you'd have liked.

well done braintan is so awesome that it's actually worth all the trouble, but it's easily as hard as making a good bow, and like bow making it never seems to come out perfect.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 06:54:54 am »
I do a lot of brain tanning,I will try and put a pictorial together with some explanation of what I am doing,I use the dry scrape method so will be a little different than aaron,but he is right,it is a lot of work and very time consuming.
I always allow 2 days ,and that is after the membrain and hair has been scrapped and it is in rawhide form.I tried to figure the time I had in a hide from skinning the deer to brain tanned leather and figure I have about 25/30 hours in a hide. One thing to be careful if you plan on tanning the next hide is be sure to not use a knife when skinning except to get it started,we call it fistting the hide off.Every wheir you put a nick with the knife in the flesh side you will have a spot either thin or rough on the finished leather. Good luck. There are some pretty good books out there for doing this. I had a good friend teach me so have never read  them  :o but have been told they will help. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 12:11:28 pm »
Yes I've done quite a few successful hides brain tanning and the first timer usually does'nt like the elbow grease work it takes to get one done but it is worth it in my book.Pappy's right about the knife slits.STAY AWAY from them the best you can,and there are plenty of books out there too.The one that helped me the most was John Mcphersons'[praire wolf] series.Google it.
It only takes me about 8 hours to do a hide for myself though.I mean actual working time on it.Your at the mercy of the weather for drying unless you do it inside with a fan like say in the winter.One time when conditions were right I took a yearling deer hide to rendezvous.Started at day break.In the frame fleshing it,letting it dry,dehairing it,braining it,and roping it dry by nightfall.Letting it dry to dry scrape dehair after fleshing can take a couple days.I prepare all of mine in a frame and rope it dry out of the frame by hand on a rope.It's a lot like bow making.Be & stay determined you'lll get there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline littlehunters19862011

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 02:45:44 pm »
thanks for the info guys sounds like a lot of hard work but i am going to give it a shot . on the nexted deer hide i get my hands on . and ,pappy a pictorial would be grate .

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 03:54:55 pm »
Step One:  Find something you have that Pappy really really would like to have.

Step Two:  Offer to trade him that special something for a brain tanned hide.

Step Three:  After Pappy tells me I'm outa my mind, sit around the fire at Twin Oaks and ponder a moment.

Step Four:  Wait for Will to show up.

Step Five:  Offer a deal to Will in a trade for a brain tanned hide.

Step Six:  Sit and look deep into the fire with a Coor's and ponder some more.

Step Seven:  Give up the idea and frown at Will and Pappy as they roar with laughter at the silly but never the less wonderful offers.  :P
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline seabass

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 05:24:58 pm »
sounds like experience talking Jon.and i have seen you at the fire drinking coors.did you ever get the hide?
Middletown,Ohio

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 05:42:22 pm »
Nice description, Jon!!! ;D ;D

You have just heard from (at least) 3 people who KNOW what they are talking about. I have read Mcphearsons book and it made the whole process very simple for me. I've only finished 5 hides, but that's enough to know that it is work. I have a whole lotta respect for those ambitious folks who finish multiple hides a year!!

Scott

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 05:54:31 pm »
Naw no hide yet but one must always ponder and hope!   :)

Actually I never tried to dicker over a hide with Will or Pappy.  I been pondering it.   :P :P :P

I know it takes 30-45 hours to do one hide and I know for a fact Pappy and Will just put to much effort into tanning to even make an foolish offer.   ;D

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 05:56:04 pm »
I have from time to time partaken of a Coor's while solving the worlds problems and ponderin with friends around the fire pit at Twin Oaks.   O:)

Offline seabass

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 06:18:23 pm »
i have seen your pondering in action Jon.you guys have all the fun.see you soon buddy.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 09:36:01 pm »
I have done a few with mixed results, first one came out great but others not quite as soft as I would want, Like, Pappy an others have said, lots an lots of hard work, I have heard all kinds of prices for brain tanned hides an I,m here to tell ya they are worth every penny. Once you start stretching an pulling there is no break or hide will dry hard, Lots of work but so rewarding when you get one soft, Just my .02 worth. I got 4 or5 in the freezer that are my next project, Beaver seasons fast approaching an I need the freezer space :o Good Luck an let us know how yours turn out. Bob

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 06:52:46 am »
Jon you ant right. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D Made me laugh tho. :) :) I will try and get some pictures but the books mentioned are good ones,I have skimmed through them ,just to hard headed to change the way I do it much. :) I do hides like I do bows,in stages.Always keep some part of it going.I have 10 or 12 in rawhide form and ready to tan,5 left in the freezer,I soaking to thaw and will need fleshing and racking this weekend and one on the rack almost scrapped,just like a little around the sides,so I just move from one part to another when I get tired or bored.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 12:09:41 am »
Just a little note, i'm no pro but have had some good results.
a curved cabinet scraper is a great way to take of the hair an epidermis in one pass.
when the hide is dry it just curls away.
Once its scraped I use a torn piece of belt from a sander - works great to work up a nice nap .

now if i was smart , i'd mount that cabinet scraper in a handle...but that'd be way too easy
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 10:13:26 am »
Never thought about a scrapper like that,I have several and may give it a try,I use on on a handle.
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good