Author Topic: Just my two cents  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Cyrille

• I have been active in archery since age 15
Just my two cents
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:38:55 pm »
I am NOT against the use of firearms for hunting, In point of fact I am all in favor of those that do so legally.
 That being said:
 I am in a bit of a quandary  as to why firearms are being discussed on a thread in a forum titled "Primitive Archer?" can anyone enlighten me?
To Hunt, to loose, "perchance to dream."*
 Cyrille Troubadour & Archer.

* Paraphrasing Shakespeare's Hamlet

Offline Stoker

Re: Just my two cents
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 03:13:22 pm »
Valid question..Please remember my friend. This is around the campfire the place to discuss other topics. Bows is for primitive bows only. Hunting is only for primitive harvests. Here we can talk about guns, glass bows, other interests and topics (Excluding politics and religon). The occasional rant or concern. We all have other hobbies and like to share.
Thanks Leroy
We were typing same time
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 03:36:05 pm »
Flint knapping, knife making, hide tanning, tractor repair, pipe smoking, trapping, guns, and much much more are all discussed around our campfire  :) 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 05:31:14 pm »
lots of things are talked about around a campfire.i like seeing what other people are into.we are all from different places in the world.sometime you get to see things that you may never get to see in your life or never knew exsisted.i like the campfire.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Cyrille

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 08:57:41 pm »
Thank you all for your input. You have enlightened me. It's good to know that I may speak of my B.W. bow here and quite a number of other topics.

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 09:29:31 pm »
you are allowed to speak of all of these things and we want to hear about it.i also have a black widow longbow.share your feellings with the group brother.just no politics or religions.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 09:42:13 pm »
Oh no the dreaded plywood mafia ;D, How would I know of this, hmm, I also have an old black widow.  :o :o. Later Bob

Offline Cyrille

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 12:15:59 am »
O.k. This is a question I asked the B.W. boys a few weeks ago didn't really get a satisfactory reply. My bow an '09 PMA  came with a a Dyana-Flight 97 string, and me, not knowing any diffrent went along with this from '09 to November of this year replacing the string every year with a new FF string of the same make.
 However, this year when it was time to replace the string I didn't have a Dyana-Flight 97 string. So going through my archery gear I came across a brand new still in the bag Dacron B-50 that I had ordered for another of my bows of the same AMO as my BW so I tried it on the PMA and found almost immediately that it shot much better than the Dyana flight 97 ever did.
 My scores climbed  by 3 to 4 points at my next practice session and have remained there since replacing that string with the Dacron-B-50!
 My question to BW was; why,  since BW supplies a Dyanaflight with every bow or limb set why does my particular bow shoot more accurately with the Dacron B-50 than it did with the Dyana flight? The answer... "Looks like I found a sweet spot"
Really--- Now can anyone offer an explanation as to why the Dacron string shoots more accurately than the dyanaflight one.
 I really would like to know.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 12:31:44 am »
This is just a guess, but I would think it might be because the b-50 string has more stretch.  This means that when the string "hits home" it absorbs some of the energy that would otherwise go into the limbs.  Have you noticed any less hand-shock upon release? If so, that would make the bow a little more forgiving to any imperfections in your technique.

Offline Cyrille

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 01:02:33 am »
Can't remember ever feeling hand shock with the FF string and I definitely do not feel any with the Dacron one. But I have noticed that the Dacron string is much quieter, as quiet as the FF one was with string silencers if not more so.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 07:49:41 am »
Can't explane that,it is usually just the opposite, ff is usually faster/quieter as far as accuracy it will shoot either where you point. I have 3 by the way and my son has one also. :) Widows are known to be noisy if you let the brace get low anyway. :)
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Cyrille

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 05:18:08 pm »
Pappy, I know the FFs are speedier But in my experience they are definitely not quieter and as far as I can determine the Dacron B-50 string is more accurate too. Just my two cents.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 05:57:54 pm »
Instictive archery is a 100% head game. Just knowing you changed something on your set up can convince your mind its better, as a result you concentrate more and shoot better. I would be willing to bet if a guy could secretly replace your string with FF your scores wouldnt go down and your bow wouldnt be loud.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 11:32:52 pm »
Just a possibility ,but do your Arrow nocks fit differently on this string?Did your braceheight change? You know, all those little things you can do to tune your traditional bow. Maybe it's just one of those little things we take for granted after shooting the same setup for years.

Offline Cyrille

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 07:46:51 pm »
My nock point is about a 1/16" lower than on the FF string, B H is 7 7/8" instead of the recommended 8 1/4 to 9."  Remember this is a Dacron -B-50.
 I would like to know if the recommended B.H. is different for the Dyana-Flight -97 than it is for the Dacron B-50? Both strings are Flimish twist.