Author Topic: MattE's Knapping Tools  (Read 4570 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
MattE's Knapping Tools
« on: October 09, 2007, 08:15:00 am »
Matt sent me some knapping tools the other day and I told him I would post a picture of the tools he uses.

These will make my job much easier

[attachment deleted by admin]
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

DBernier

Re: MattE's Knapping Tools
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 09:19:30 am »
Marc, I like that fat hdl. on that double tine one. I think I will make one. Man.........the simplest things.

Dick

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 10:31:32 am »
Hey Marc, those will definantly make your life a little easier! Just a suggestion though, I would put some kind of backing on that rubber hand pad - like sheet metal. You'll eventually work it in two as you pop points - I use about a 10 guage JBwelded on.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

MattE

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 10:55:37 am »
Marc, You can mount the spare rods in a handle for spares. The long brass rod can be used for indirect percussion flaking.It gets those stuborn flakes.I would have sent you a moose billet but I have only one at the present time.
 I like cowboys idea of glueing a metal plate on the bottom of the pad.The pads do wear down and eventually split. I have penty of material if yours wears out let me know.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 08:51:22 am »
Glad you didn't send a Moose billet Matt. That I can get fairly easily if I want to.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

MattE

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 09:06:01 am »
That was what I figured, mine cost me forty dollars and  haven't learned to use it well yet.:) Good luck with your knapping!