Author Topic: Interesting Expression  (Read 20786 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Interesting Expression
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 04:07:48 pm »
Old timer punched me in the arm once when a fairly interesting young lady walked by and he said, "Stare like that and you'll forget whether you're afoot or horseback." 

When things get busy and you forget what you are doing while in the midst of doing thirteen things at once, you say, "I don't know if I just lost my horse or found a rope!"

And then there was a guy I worked with that was beyond useless.  Having him around was like having two good men gone!  We also were quite sure that he couldn't pour pi$$ out of his boot if you wrote the intructions under the heel.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Stringman

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 04:50:39 pm »
That reminds me of the ol feller I used to work with in landscaping. While straightening up one day over a particularly tiresome task, a rather pretty, well built, young lady went striding by and he says, "tall timbers are made for splittin!" It took me a while, until I recognized that he wasnt lookin at the trees...  ::)

Laying blocks for my garage and I called a friend who does that for a living. I was apologizin for the foundation being a touch out of square and he says, "no hill for a climber!"

Scott

Offline stickbender

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 01:39:25 am »
     Mark Twain wrote a version of Lost Arrow's post,  ...... it is better to be thought a fool, than to speak, and remove all doubt. ;)  He also said never argue with an idiot, those watching can't tell you apart.  Also something similar, never argue with an idiot, he will just drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience. ;)  When someone was driving, and had an "Exciting" experience, "scared me so bad, I chewed a hole in the seat.  He was so ugly, his mother had to nurse him through a knot hole in a barrel.  So ugly, the Dr. told his mother she had twins, till he realized he was looking at his arse and face at the same time.  So ugly he had to slip up on a glass of water.  He had to pull the sheet over his head so sleep could slip up on him.  She was so ugly, she'd make a freight train take a dirt road.  So ugly, looked like she was shot through a forest of ugly trees, and didn't miss a one.  So ugly his parents had to tie a steak around his neck so the dog would play with him.  When someone was tall, a southern expression would " Boy he or she can wade some deep water!"  Or as my Cousin (the one with the thick ham steak) used to say to his sister, who was short, "She's so short, she'd have to stand on a bucket to kick a duck in the a$$!"
  If you thought someone was going to do something, or something was going to turn out a certain way......"I will bet you dollars to doughnuts"......More birds than you can shake a stick at...... Scottish......if you want to dance, ya gotta pay the piper.  Meaning if you are going to do something you are going to pay for it.
If you've seen one you've seen them all.  Southern.... Man if you get caught doing something like that, they will put "UNDER" the jailhouse!  English...... meaning something is a bit difficult, or you are in a bind of some kind...... "It's a bit of a sticky wicket!"  Two birds with one stone..... try that Hunter trapper. ;)
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  Day late, and a dollar short.  Naval term, of being real drunk..... three sheets to the wind.  Busier than a one legged man trying to stomp out a forest fire.  Feeling sore all over after working out, or laboring hard, I feel like I went to a hammer fight, and forgot my hammer. :o
Talking about someone not too bright....... That boy is as sharp as the lead edge of a bowling ball.  or,  Put his brain in a match box, and it would look like a BB in a box car!  He's a few bricks shy of a full load, I don't think his elevator goes all the way to the top.  His bread ain't done.  The crust on his bread is a little thin.  Someone who is a little strange...... He ain't wrapped tight.  He's been standing too close to the microwave with his tinfoil hat on!  And for something that looks like it might happen,   If it don't happen, I'll eat your hat!  For something amazing...... if that don't beat all......if that don't take the cake......  For something that made you mad, I was so mad, I could've eat fried nails! :o :P......   Running around like a chicken with it's head cut off...... I haven't seen her for a month of Sundays......I haven't seen hide no hair of them...... I'll knock you into next year!  For something difficult, or...... well, I can't say it on here...... but it applies to one of J.W's sayings,  Anyway for something difficult, .......Harder than Chinese Arithmetic!   When you don't know the answer to something,...... Beats my two aces.   For someone who is a good salesman....... he could sell ice cubes to Eskimos  Or W.C. Fields, You can fool some of the people, some of the time......and that's enough to make a decent living off of.  OK, I will stop here.  But wait!  There's more!......   ::)  Pt Barnum....... Which WC was spoofing....... You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time.   Also, a fool and his money are soon parted.  Two wrongs don't make a right.   Winning a war, doesn't decide who is right, only who is left.  Cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey!  Referring to brass square with round dimples in it to hold the cannon balls on an old sailing ship, so they could be stacked in a pyramid shape.  But when the temperature dropped down low enough, the metal would contract, and the balls would fall off the brass monkey.     He who farts in church will sit in his own pew..... ::) :P....... Sorry, it uh slipped out...... OK, on that ......high .....note...... I will stop for tonight.   This is fun..... ;D ;D ;D

Wayne

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:59:09 pm by stickbender »

Offline chamookman

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 03:41:31 am »
My Grandmother would say, " That's as odd as a tree full of Owls" , My Dad would quip this sometimes ," That Girls as homely as a mud fence".
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 04:35:20 am »
How did you sleep last night?  If they slept good, folks around here say  "I slept like a fat baby". ....  I dunno if skinny babies are restless or just how that one got started.   

If someone is bucktoothed - "That kid could eat corn through a picket fence". 

If they are ugly you could "dip their face in batter and make monster cookies".

If they got beat up they got their "ass whipped till a fly wouldn't light on them".

If they are rich "they got enough money to burn a wet mule".

If they caught a little fish it's "got eye trouble"   (it's eyes are too close to it's ass).

If it's a strange person  they are "weird as a three headed cat". 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bubby

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 06:38:39 am »
she's hard on the eyes from the neck up
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 07:02:09 am »
Lost as an Easter egg in 10 foot of grass.  :) I used that this morning with one of my guys. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 08:43:07 am »
I ocasionally tell my lazy helper he's as useless as a screen door on a submarine.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2012, 09:00:45 am »
Finer than frog hair...Nice job or a pretty woman/Don't tell me it's raining when your pissin down my back...Being told a fib/Lower than whale poop...Degree of treatment or statement to a person.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2012, 09:04:48 am »
If brains was dynamight that fella couldn't blow his nose, He would complain if you hung him with a new rope, He'd be late for his own funeral. Rode hard and put away wet. Bein' a fella with a handle of Bone pie I heard all the skinny ones, I had to jump around in the shower to get wet. So thin had to put rocks in the pockets to keep from blowin' away. I fell through a hole in my shoe and darn near hung myself
Venice Florida

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2012, 10:30:02 am »
"she's a 30/30"
Good at 30 feet or 30 mph

Offline danny f

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 10:42:31 am »
your about as much use as a chocolate tea pot/ fireguard.
 your tighter than a submarine door.
your tighter than a whales foreskin.

Offline cracker

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 12:03:13 pm »
He's so tight he squeaks when he walks, he's so crooked he has to screw his britches on.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Stoker

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 01:21:01 pm »
My music teacher - "You couldn't carry a tune in a bucket"
She was right
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2012, 03:41:43 pm »
phrases I use at work that constantly consternate folks are 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, or fair to middlin. The preacer's wife used to say on the cold days that it as colder than a witches teat(polite) in a brass bra!