Author Topic: Boards -vs- Staves  (Read 7606 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

Boards -vs- Staves
« on: December 20, 2012, 05:46:32 pm »
OK, as I look around on the forums (yes, I'm new to bowmaking) I see folks making bows out of trees that they've carefully split and followed the grain... Then I see bows that are made from store bought boards where the manufacturer may or may not have cut a decent board...

Is there a significant difference in the finished product assuming all else is the same? (considering bow design, wood choice, etc. are all equal) I'm not talking about aesthetics, I'm talking about "meat on the table-or not" differences...

I'm just curious since my bowmaking endeavors so far have been strictly limited to what I call "decent" boards that I pick up from my local hardwoods supplier. For instance - My ipe comes from decking boards 12' long... My hickory comes from 4/4 sawn planks of varrying lengths... Am I shooting myself in the foot here by not getting staves?
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline k-hat

Re: Boards -vs- Staves
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 06:03:23 pm »
Nope, no fletchings sticking out of your foot. ;)

It may be true that, for example, a hickory stave will have better integrity and could yield a higher safe draw weight than a hickory board, but you're talking about a difference that exists way above most people's draw weight.  An 80# hickory board bow would be fine, but some would prefer to use a stave for draw weights much higher than that.  At normal weights i would say it's purely aesthetics.  Of course you do have to be more picky choosing boards than staves.

Some people make classy bows from boards and never use staves.  Depends on what's available. 

BTW, some would say a board is no different from a decrowned stave (excepting the kiln drying).

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 06:15:50 pm »
some will say staves are better[blackhawk], but i build alot of board bows and they are great shooters, working a board may not have the same sense of accomplishment than working a gnarly twisted stave, but if you just want to build a bow to shoot boards are fine, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 06:35:24 pm »
I don't see a lot of differences other than most times you end up with a stave that is full of knots. At least with boards they are dry and you can pick through the pile to find the best piece. I got one from Home Repo a while back, it broke. It broke in an obvious spot because the wood looked somewhat punky. I could not see that it was inside.
At any rate you can end up with a decrowned stave and a board piece that are identical in grain structure. ;)
I agree there is a relationship between the bowyer and a stave with the final product that is pride in workmanship. On the other hand you have the chemical laminated bows, one piece units selling for $1000.00.
My bow may not shoot as well nor outlast it, but at least it is a bow I built for very little cost..... ;D

There is an old saying it's not the Tool That Makes The Man, but it's knowing what to do with the tool that you have...... :laugh:
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 06:35:38 pm »
I agree with bubby!!! Way too many people think board bows are insufficiant. When it comes to puttin meat in the freezer, which is all I'm worried about. Board bows work just fine!!!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 07:13:59 pm »
Way to single me out Bubby....you'll get no comment from me...ill leave all you trim board lovers alone so you all can have your own "praise" party for boards..lmao :laugh:

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 07:23:59 pm »
No doubt you can make an effective bow with a board that will put meat on your table. As evidenced by the countless board bows shown on this site. For me it is a matter of aesthetics. I really enjoy the process of working a stave and I just dont get that same excitement about a board. Plus I get to go out in the woods with friends and cut my own wood. That adds to the enjoyment. I like going in the woods a lot more than shopping in a big box store. Plus, staves are free.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 07:28:05 pm »
no comment from blackhawk? he must be sick

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 07:28:56 pm »
Hey..is this the "praise" party for board bow lovers... :laugh:

I love boards..they can be deadly,last as long as a stave,shoot just as fast or faster than a stave can,and also can be aestically pleasing...;).....here's a great example ;)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,33782.0.html

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 07:54:38 pm »
Its about what your after as an experinece more than what performs better, lasts longer or looks better. My passion lies strictly in stave bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 07:59:53 pm »
Its about what your after as an experinece more than what performs better, lasts longer or looks better. My passion lies strictly in stave bows.

I also prefer staves... Never built a bow from a board.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 08:01:13 pm »

Re: Where to Find Wood
« Reply #11 on: Today at 05:40:34 am »QuoteQuote from: lesken2011 on December 19, 2012, 09:15:13 pm
I didn't know you had something against boards, blackhawk. They never did anything to you, did they?

Simply said: A stave is better than a board ....when first learning always use the best wood available to you. A hickory,elm,or white oak sapling or small tree will tolerate a novices hands better than a board.

not singleing you out blackbird, you did ;D

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 08:04:39 pm »
some will say staves are better[blackhawk], but i build alot of board bows and they are great shooters, working a board may not have the same sense of accomplishment than working a gnarly twisted stave, but if you just want to build a bow to shoot boards are fine, Bub

i'm with ya, working a stave is much more satisfying, Bub

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 08:04:52 pm »
Pickin' on bubs boards is liking picking on his family.......You best be careful!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 08:05:28 pm »

I also prefer staves... Never built a bow from a board.

How do you know if ya never tried one pinenut ;)