Author Topic: Osage II  (Read 1633 times)

Offline sleek

Osage II
« on: December 24, 2012, 02:45:26 am »
Here is an bow I just finished off. I started ( after the recurves ) with 3 inches of reflex and finished with 1.5". 43#@28, 66 inches long. White tail tips, and rest. I dont like the rest, cant figure out how to blend those into the bow yet without looking like a Lego attachment. Any help?

I think the lower limb came off a bit weak, but it didnt look that way to me in the mirror, or other pics I took of it. I dont know what happened, maybe an optical illusion? What do ya'll think?

Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

Re: Osage II
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 02:46:25 am »
And the full draw

Actually, the more I look at the picture, I think the bow is being tilted top limb towards the camera, as 28 inch draw, is not my thing...That must be what is throwing the tiller off, what do yall think?

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 02:49:07 am »
man why did ya add that thing on the side?  ;) i think it would look nice with a handle wrap because you put the arrow rest on.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 02:56:48 am »
I had to, the guy its for wanted it... I really hate rests, as they never look good... Unless anybody can show me some images where they look good?

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 02:58:06 am »
Sleek, it is hard to tell from the picture, but the lower limb does look a bit weak. I have had the same experience.  I like to do the final tillering work in a mirror, and check on the tillering rack if needed, and what looks spot on in the mirror ends up looking like a lower limb a tad weak in full draw pictures sometimes.  I don't know which one is making the optical illusion, the mirror or the camera.  If it shoots, then it is good.   I especially like your handle shape and fade transitions.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 03:01:46 am »
i can see a rest where there is a wrap, but even so, it still looks nice without. I was given a sliver of a golf tee to use as a rest for my most recent one because its unobtrusive and still does its job.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 03:14:43 am »
i think carson has it right on the lower limb, as for the rest, i make them with less massbelow the top, less obtrusive that way, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline okie64

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 09:13:27 am »
The lower limb does look a tad weak but it could be the angle of the pic. How does it feel in the hand during draw? Other than that looks like a fine bow with nice curves. :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 03:26:26 pm »
This bow feels great on the draw, high early draw and powerful. The handle could use some trimming down, but the guy its for has large hands.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 05:07:56 pm »
I think it was the picture making it look bad, ( maybe I am just optimistic ) but here are some pics of the new owner shooting it. How does it look now that the right person is shooting it?