Author Topic: sub zero experiment .  (Read 2792 times)

Offline bushboy

sub zero experiment .
« on: December 31, 2012, 03:36:34 pm »
hey all,roughed out a rock maple bow yesterday,was about - 12c not to cold if you are canadian or live in the northern states.the dimentions are 62 ttt -1-3/4 @ the fades tappering to 1-1/2 and down to 1/2 for the last 12".this morning it was -27c/-16.66f ,little cold but i was determined,got it tillered to 67#@ 26" and not a peep out of her!still a little heavy for me but that's was all the time i had to work on it. it took 1-1/2 of just unbraced set,settling down to 3/4 after about an hour.i won't know the final out come till i drop the weight a little and get a few hundred thru her,but so far so good!not sure i would try this with red oak,but the maple is a champ!btw it was made from a side cut of a plain sawn board making it rift sawn i guess.take care bobby joe!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Hrothgar

Re: sub zero experiment .
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 03:41:50 pm »
Sounds interesting. Are you going to add a backing?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 03:49:32 pm »
Cool Bushboy! (Idk what kind of bush thats referring to)

I'm working on some maple too. Please post some pics, i'd be very interested to see this.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 04:03:37 pm »
Was'nt planning on backing it,but may be you know something that I don't?I did warm it up before weighing it though.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 04:19:07 pm »
Good for you. Sounds great. is it too cold for pictures? :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 04:28:42 pm »
Jawge and zion ,I only have a smart phone and hav'nt gotten it figured how to post pics,will try again when I get home!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 07:54:09 am »
Atta boy bush boy.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 10:46:26 am »
(Upload your photos to Photobucket, copy the IMG and paste it in the text body. Not to difficult after you learn the steps.)

Scott

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 10:31:34 pm »
Is your draw 26" ? I don't know if anyone mentioned to you that you are best not to draw the bow beyond what your desired weight will be, as it puts undue stress on the limbs (causing more set)and results in a bow that will not be as good as it could have been.It will still shoot, just not as well as it could have. If you already know this ,.......just smile and nod as you dismiss this statement. BTW, that's awesome that it didn't explode on you ,being that cold (and dry) .Pics?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 11:45:24 pm »
Yeah la ,my draw is 28, just easing her in.tried to put all the set in the outer limbs,so far so good!weighs in @ 18.4 oz polishes like bone ,love this stuff!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 03:02:39 pm »
Looking forward to finished bow pics.  Be carefull ,I had a maple bow almost complete (Mid winter)  drawing to about 25"-26"  and it blew without warning as I was exercising the limbs. impressive explosion to say the least . Never did find one of the pieces. :o Maple can be kind of a drama queen that way! Good luck!