Author Topic: cracked cap polypore  (Read 7793 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
cracked cap polypore
« on: October 12, 2007, 10:43:20 pm »
I finally managed to find some cracked cap polypore.  Do I need to let it dry?  And when using it do I shave some off in a tinder bundle or put a coal right on a chunk of it in the tinder bundle?
Traverse City, MI

Offline DanaM

Re: cracked cap polypore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 07:27:12 am »
Crack kills rick ;) ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 02:32:16 pm »
It grows on almost every locust tree in the woods here. I usually shave off a few thin slices and put them in the middle of the tinder bundle. Put the coal on the slices and get them started. When the polypore gets to glowing, fold the bundle up around it and blow it into flame. Really helps with damp or not-so-good tinder. they usually work right off the tree unless it's been really wet weather-the pores are on the underside and don't usually get too wet.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 02:57:29 pm »
Thanks for the Crack tip ;).  We have a ton of locusts on L.I. but the CCP was real hard to find. I finally found a some on my way home from work. There was more, but since it was in the front yard of a home I figured I better get it quick and bolt before the police came out looking for some "weirdo" smacking fungus off a tree.   
Traverse City, MI

jamie

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 06:27:16 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Stick Shooter

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 08:36:00 pm »
What is cracked cap polypore??????? I know I can't be the only one who does not know,haha but I never mind asking if I don't know.Stick Shooter

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 08:44:29 pm »
It's a fungus that grows on locust trees.  Lookes like a half moon shelf slightly domed and the top is all cracked looking.  Not sure if it grows on other trees or not.
Traverse City, MI

Stick Shooter

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 06:06:31 pm »
Thank you, So what do you use it for???

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 07:10:03 pm »
When starting a fire it helps to extend the life of the coal and ignite your tinder bundle.  I also saw a guy start a fire by sparking his flint on a pile of real fine shavings(almost dust) of a similar fungus that grows on birches.
Traverse City, MI