Author Topic: What are you using to protect your fingers? If you are using anything that is.  (Read 3036 times)

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
 Ive been thinking bout making something to protect my fingers from the string of my bow and it dawned on me.. "Is there something else besides an Archers Glove?" I know of a few but what do you guys use? Post pics if you can.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline osage outlaw

I always used a tab until this summer.  I switched to a glove.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
I've used a Damascus glove for years but a tab is also an option.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cyrille

• I have been active in archery since age 15
I use a glove But I noticed on a video I recently viewed that some archers wrapped bits of cloth or leather around their fingers instead of using a tab or a glove... I suppose that they just wanted to "go primitive."
To Hunt, to loose, "perchance to dream."*
 Cyrille Troubadour & Archer.

* Paraphrasing Shakespeare's Hamlet

Offline Scowler

Damascus glove.

Offline iowabow

Glove here is why...it is cold in iowa and the shooting glove is open enough that in early fall your hand will not get too cold. In winter you can cut the fingers out of a glove and put the fingers in. I keep both hands in side pockets to keep them warm but when the deer come in I pull my hannds out. You can handle the cold with a light glove for about 30 mins as the deer work their way into you.  I will attach picture in a couple of minutes.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Pic
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Griffin027

• -Neosho, MO
I have used a glove for years but have recently went to shooting bare fingers with duct tape wrapped around the tips of my fingers. I get to feel the string and get added protection. Works Great!!! ;)
~ Levi from SW Missouri ~

Stringman

I'm sure you know this, but shooting an hour a day for a week will give you calusses on your shooting fingers. If you like the feel of the string this will be better than a glove or tab. I usually start shooting with a tab until I can handle without it. After my fingers are ready, I figure I can hold a string for any shooting scenario out in the woods. Tabs are super simple to cut out yourself.

Scott

Offline Roy

If you don't want to wear a tab or glove, you can put two more layers of string serving on your existing serving where your fingers will be. That makes it thicker and the string will not cut into your fingers as much.

Offline H Rhodes

I don't use anything unless I am shooting one of my heavier bows - then it's a  damascus glove.  My bare fingers do okay up to 55lb pull bows.  I use B-50 strings that have serving near the nocking point and have found no problems shooting bare fingers.  I try to keep my gear to a minimum when I hunt and the glove/tab is just one more thing for me to keep up with.  Initially, my accuracy wasn't there when I first started shooting without the glove.  Once callouses formed,  my shooting showed an overall improvement.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
I started w/ a tab many years ago, switched to a glove a couple of years ago and then back to the tab in 2012.  I usually hunt with a glove for the same rason Iowabow said, but when shooting in the yard w/ family and friends I have been using a tab again.  I guess the switch from glove back to tab came when my 8 yr.old son cut a tab out of some buckskin for me back in August.  I loved it so much that's what I stated using when we were all out in the yard shooting.  I don't think there is one that is better, just what you're used too.  dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
I might just keep doing without and build a calus. Although have you guys tried these? I was thinking of doing something like the bottom pic.

Offline Roy

The bottom picture does the same thing as I mentioned above by putting more serving on your string.

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
I thought so Roy ;)