Author Topic: Christmas tree bow build along: in progress  (Read 17423 times)

Offline Squirrelslayer

Re: Christmas tree bow build along: in progress
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2013, 07:06:05 pm »
ill take a look when i next head down there.

and use pvc pipe for the splice.

Pvc pipe? how does that work?

also for my maple to dry quicker how can i split the log without wedges. theese are the tools i have acces to.

hand axe
sledge hammer (very risky)
tree saw with large teeth.
tennon saw
chizles.

theese are all i have although i did see this cool gadget that will work well in the long run, it is a small pyramid made entirly of metal and you hammer it into the centre of a log and it splits it into 4 peices. i think this would be great but it's expensive and i don't have that kind off money right now. i also have to save up for some tools to cut my knife blanks, all theese expenses :-[ ill get by though some how.SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline KShip85

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2013, 07:29:12 pm »
I've split maple with a hatchet and a hammer.  I've used chisels in a pinch too, though not the best.  Depends on the grain of what your splitting.  I've used a pry bar to work my way down a split before too.  I'd think you could do it with the axe and hammer though.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline RyanY

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2013, 08:11:07 pm »
SS, make some wedges out of wood. Start the split by using the axe and hammer and once the split opens up hammer in a wooden wedge. I can usually get away splitting my materials with my two wedges but I've used wooden ones where more are needed.

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2013, 09:24:34 pm »
I've split maple with a hatchet and a hammer.  I've used chisels in a pinch too, though not the best.  Depends on the grain of what your splitting.  I've used a pry bar to work my way down a split before too.  I'd think you could do it with the axe and hammer though.

Kip

Oh I completly forgot I might just have a pry bar I can use. Ill try splitting it tommorow and use the prise bar if needed.I do have some wooden blocks I can turn into some wewedges.  It will keep me busy as I have two maple logs now. One is 42" long And 7" in diameter and has a slight S Shape to it. The other is 33" long and 5" in diameter and is straight
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2020, 11:19:30 am »
The infamous squirrel nutz and his Christmas tree "bow".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2020, 11:58:22 am »
I hope he learned a lot from that experience. Certainly was a young guy who  wanted to forge his own path of doing things. Honestly,  I'd like to see him pop up and show us that he has made some successful bows, or try again on here.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bassman

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2020, 12:10:57 pm »
I hope his Maple is rock Maple ,or sugar Maple as is some times called. The other soft Maples suck as bow wood, but has to be better than Pine.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2020, 12:14:04 pm »
Well that certainly was both educational and entertaining. It is funny how some people totally over think every move and some think they have it all figured out before they ever start.

Personally I knew I didn’t know squat. Was sure I’d never make a bow that didn’t blow up. And drew it like it was going to explode every time I pulled it back. I got just enough excitement out of my first one to get serious and listen to people a lot smarter than me for the next ones. Listening to good honest advice will save you a lot of trouble in life. Of course I have learned a lot of things the hard way to.

Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2020, 12:22:47 pm »
Some things are just...unforgettable.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2020, 04:11:39 pm »
Thanks for reviving this, Pearly.  Lots of good laughs.  ;D ;D I clicked on his youtube channel and there's one vid of him flying a paraglider over a gold course.  Fortunately, he seems to have read the instructions on the paraglider better than he read TBB.

Can't help but like the guy.  He has spirit--you have to give him that.  Hope he pops up here again sometime.
T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline sleek

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2020, 06:55:51 pm »
Thanks for reviving this, Pearly.  Lots of good laughs.  ;D ;D I clicked on his youtube channel and there's one vid of him flying a paraglider over a gold course.  Fortunately, he seems to have read the instructions on the paraglider better than he read TBB.

Can't help but like the guy.  He has spirit--you have to give him that.  Hope he pops up here again sometime.
T

I agree whole heartedly
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2020, 07:33:00 pm »
I agree. I’d rather see someone who isn’t afraid to try something. Honestly even if it’s something everyone says won’t work. Still gotta be honest with yourself though.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2020, 08:30:51 pm »
He kind of reminds me of that kid we all knew in junior high school, the one that was sort of socially clueless, but whenever he raised his hand in class we all smiled and said, "Oh, boy, here we go..."
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

bownarra

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2020, 01:36:06 am »
Troll.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2020, 03:06:12 am »
Dear lord baby Jesus I got some good laughs.  His ego was quite large lol.

Speaking of pine I did finish a personal challenge with a 1x2x6 pine board from Menards.  It’s doable without being 4” wide.  Just wanted to try again.

Draws 51lbs @ 26” with 1.25” just unbraced set and after resting it has .5” set.  I was really surprised at this pine board and it’s elasticity. 

I just hope I don’t get this thing caught in the garage door as I walk out to shoot it. 🤣🤣🤣
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 07:58:41 am by aznboi3644 »